Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > equivalents between MS and Borland C++

equivalents between MS and Borland C++

Allen F.

Can you believe it? The lecture portion of my university introductory
C++ class uses Borland examples and when I go to the lab, we work with
MS Visual C++ 6.0 Does someone have a list of differences /
equivalents to help me through this? Thanks.

Mike Wahler

"Allen F." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Can you believe it? The lecture portion of my university introductory
> C++ class uses Borland examples and when I go to the lab, we work with
> MS Visual C++ 6.0

Yes, I believe it. Both are C++ translators, but from
different vendors. E.g. I first learned how to drive
in a Volkswagon, but the first car I owned was a Chevrolet.
Driving is driving.

>Does someone have a list of differences /
> equivalents to help me through this?

Any differences would be in platform-specific stuff
and extensions, specialty libraries, etc. The C++
language itself remains the same. It's only the
(standard) language that's topical here. Of course,
with any vendor, the implementation won't be perfect
(known as the level of conformance with the language
standard). So imo it would be topical to discuss the
behavior of a given compiler in the interest of determining
standard-conformance. But product comparisons would not
be topical here.

So as long as you stay with the standard language, it should
not matter which compiler you use.

However, both Borland C++ and Microsoft C++ target the Windows
platforms, so though not identical, they share a great deal
of features and behaviors with regard to Windows. IMO either
one is fine to use. IMO it's mostly a personal preference issue.

Also, imo it's a good idea to have more than one compiler anyway.
If one can't do what you need, you have an alternative. You can
also compare the quality (e.g. performance) of the resulting code
and use the one that give the best results.

-Mike

C++ Programmer

"Mike Wahler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3p_vd.92$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> "Allen F." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
><SNIPPED>
> Also, imo it's a good idea to have more than one compiler anyway.
> If one can't do what you need, you have an alternative. You can
> also compare the quality (e.g. performance) of the resulting code
> and use the one that give the best results.
>

> -Mike

I agree with your IMO on this one. The vendor-specific features that are
included with a particular compiler can reduce development time
substantially, and it's a matter of the programmer being familiar with the
extras available. If adhering to the ANSI C++ standard, then either compiler
will do the trick quite well.

Have a g'day.

Nathaniel L. Walker

> "Mike Wahler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3p_vd.92$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> > "Allen F." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> ><SNIPPED>
> > Also, imo it's a good idea to have more than one compiler anyway.
> > If one can't do what you need, you have an alternative. You can
> > also compare the quality (e.g. performance) of the resulting code
> > and use the one that give the best results.
> >

> > -Mike

I totally agree with this. I use 5 compilers regularly and never regret it.
The amount of time you can save just be seeing another [differently stated]
error message is sometimes phenomenal. Microsoft error messages are
the most obscure next to GCC. Borland's seem to be the most clear.

Nathaniel L. Walker