Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Question about subnetting on MS Exams

Question about subnetting on MS Exams

$teve.H

I'm currently certified as ccna, and when I learnt to subnet, I learnt that
the 1st and last subnet are not to be used.

(See http://www.housego.me.uk/subnet.PNG for visual example)

Sitting my 291 tomorrow and it mentions subnetting in my sybex revision
guide but I cant find any mention to leaving these 2 subnet's out.
I know these subnets are actually useable, but your not meant to use them
(please correct me if I'm wrong here! )

I know MS have funny quirks where they don't quite follow standards on some
things, is this one of them?

Cheers.
Steve.H

Geez31

They do recommend leaving the first and last subnet out. I wouldnt lose any
sleep over subnetting for the 291. There is hardly any questions on this.

"$teve.H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1_Ocf.5205$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> I'm currently certified as ccna, and when I learnt to subnet, I learnt
> that the 1st and last subnet are not to be used.
>
> (See http://www.housego.me.uk/subnet.PNG for visual example)
>
> Sitting my 291 tomorrow and it mentions subnetting in my sybex revision
> guide but I cant find any mention to leaving these 2 subnet's out.
> I know these subnets are actually useable, but your not meant to use them
> (please correct me if I'm wrong here! )
>
> I know MS have funny quirks where they don't quite follow standards on
> some things, is this one of them?
>
> Cheers.
> Steve.H

$teve.H

"Geez31" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> They do recommend leaving the first and last subnet out. I wouldnt lose
> any sleep over subnetting for the 291. There is hardly any questions on
> this.

So i found out today passed 833.

one question i had could have been about subnetting, but i think i read
toomuch into it! =)

Ole Kristian Bangås

"$teve.H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:1_Ocf.5205$(E-Mail Removed) k:

> I'm currently certified as ccna, and when I learnt to subnet, I learnt
> that the 1st and last subnet are not to be used.

Afaik even the lastest version of ccna (640-801) states that you can use
all subnets. Only old really old equipment should have problems with these
subnets.

--
Ole Kristian Bangås
MCT, MCDBA, MCDST, MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging

$teve.H

Ole Kristian Bangås wrote...
<snip>
> Afaik even the lastest version of ccna (640-801) states that you can use
> all subnets. Only old really old equipment should have problems with these
> subnets.

Quote from Orignal Post
"I know these subnets are actually useable, but your not meant to use them"

=)

I've used subnet zero before, i know all but legacy equipment can use subnet
zero, but only i've only experianced it when configuring cisco routers,
never had a great need for subnetting win a windows serve enviroment mainly
due to NAT/private ip ranges, just wanted to clafify microsofts idea of
subnet zero, i.e not recomended/safe to use.

Thanks for the input.

--
$teve.H
MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291

Robert Coulter

"$teve.H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ECGff.11372$(E-Mail Removed). uk:

> Ole Kristian Bangås wrote...
> <snip>
>> Afaik even the lastest version of ccna (640-801) states that you can
>> use all subnets. Only old really old equipment should have problems
>> with these subnets.

Under old-style "Classfull" subnetting, the first as last subnets were
not used. Older routers had trouble with them. "New" routers don't have
this issue. Using Varible Length Subnet Masking (VLSM) they are always
included. Under the Windows Server 2003 exams, Microsoft always assumes
you are using VLSM and does account for them.

Ole Kristian Bangås

Robert Coulter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns9714CC8BDE79Caw3740hotmailcom@216.196.97.1 31:

> "$teve.H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:ECGff.11372$(E-Mail Removed). uk:
>
>> Ole Kristian Bangås wrote...
>> <snip>
>>> Afaik even the lastest version of ccna (640-801) states that you can
>>> use all subnets. Only old really old equipment should have problems
>>> with these subnets.

> Under old-style "Classfull" subnetting, the first as last subnets were
> not used. Older routers had trouble with them. "New" routers don't have
> this issue. Using Varible Length Subnet Masking (VLSM) they are always
> included. Under the Windows Server 2003 exams, Microsoft always assumes
> you are using VLSM and does account for them.

As with (afaik 640-801). I'm aware of the fact that they were not supposed
to be used in earlier materials and exams, but both MS and Cisco include
them now, which was my point.

--
Ole Kristian Bangås
MCT, MCDBA, MCDST, MCSE:Security, MCSE:Messaging

msnews.microsoft.com

Take a look at this page for subentting assistance:
http://www.jinx.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40526

news:Xns97158C2055FBBolekristianbangaas@207.46.248 .16...