Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Problems with Oracle OCI library - help please

Problems with Oracle OCI library - help please

RTJ

I have experienced problems with Oracle OCI library. I was unable to properly
link
OCI library using gcc. Probably gcc compiler provided with SFU is unable to
link
native Windows library.
Oracle provides OCI dll (named oci.dll) and additionally OCI stub library
(oci.lib)
for Microsoft MSVC compiler. I have attempted to link dora with both OCI dll
and
OCI lib. Link with OCI lib resulted with many strange linker errors
(probably gcc does not recognize the "lib" file format).
Link with OCI dll i have performed in two ways:
-- using options: -L$(ORACLE_HOME)/bin -loci
- gcc produced error message that library is not found
-- providing full library pathname in command line:
$(ORACLE_HOME)/bin/oci.dll
- gcc produced error messages about unresolved symbols, although these
symbols are located in this library.

If somebody did successfully link any native Windows library with any program
written for SFU, please inform me how to link such library properly.

On the other hand, I couldn't bring to work the second compiler provided with
SFU
-- the Microsoft compiler. Maybe somebody was able to compile
a C++ source file or create a shared library using it ?
Which compiler are you using ?

--
Regards
Romek

Karl Heinz Buchegger

RTJ wrote:

> I have experienced problems with Oracle OCI library. I was unable to properly
> link
> OCI library using gcc. Probably gcc compiler provided with SFU is unable to
> link
> native Windows library.
> Oracle provides OCI dll (named oci.dll) and additionally OCI stub library
> (oci.lib)
> for Microsoft MSVC compiler. I have attempted to link dora with both OCI dll
> and
> OCI lib.

You need libraries which are built for gcc in order to use them.
There is no such thing as 'native library format'. Each compiler
has its own way to build a library and to name things in the library.

--
Karl Heinz Buchegger

Sanjay Rana Sanjay Rana is offline
Junior Member

Can you specify that Which version of SFU you are using?
This functionality of linking to DB dlls like oci.dll is now provided by Win2k3 R2 release where SUA (Subsystem for Unix based applications) is an optional component. This feature is called mixed mode and both gcc as well as c89 can be used to generate an unix application linking to OCI.dll.