Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > MSN Messenger - Video Conversations - sound will not work with vid

MSN Messenger - Video Conversations - sound will not work with vid

=?Utf-8?B?Tm9vZGxlcw==?=

have set up or assisted in setting up MSN Messenger (v7.5) on several
PC'sbut now have met a problem I cannot resolve. Despite switching cameras
and microhpones, the same problem exists. Sound will not work with vision.
In the Video/Audio setup everything tests out fine and the microphone is
found. I can invite to a Voice Conversation. Fine. I can invite to view
webcam. Fine. But in a Voice/Video conversation only video and text are
permitted. The microphone is shown muted [Red X] and refuses to accept any
action to un-mute. If the invite is cancelled and switched to a Voice only
conversation, the mcrohpone is automatically shown as unmuted and works.

The microphone is not muted in the System and indeed works well alone and in
vision in other applications (like Eyeball), but not in MSN. I did suspect a
firewall problem but disabled McAfee and the problem remained. Can anyone
give me a pointer as to what is likely to be the cause of this problem in MSN?

I admit this particular Pc system is not of great spec - about 800Mhz CPU,
256mB RAM running 500mbs Broadband but friends have it working on similar
PC's. I have tried connecting to several friends from this PC (all of whom
have MSN Messenger working fine) but the same thing happens each time.

Any help will be much appriciated.

Noodles

Bob Christian

You may want to drop a note in the MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger
newsgroup. They have a few MVPs in there that are pretty good as well as a
few other volunteers and MSFT folks. I don't think that they monitor the
certification newsgroup.

Chances are it is a small firewall issue.
--
Bob Christian II
MVP - LCS

"Noodles" <Noodlesonline(removethis)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> have set up or assisted in setting up MSN Messenger (v7.5) on several
> PC'sbut now have met a problem I cannot resolve. Despite switching cameras
> and microhpones, the same problem exists. Sound will not work with vision.
> In the Video/Audio setup everything tests out fine and the microphone is
> found. I can invite to a Voice Conversation. Fine. I can invite to view
> webcam. Fine. But in a Voice/Video conversation only video and text are
> permitted. The microphone is shown muted [Red X] and refuses to accept
> any
> action to un-mute. If the invite is cancelled and switched to a Voice only
> conversation, the mcrohpone is automatically shown as unmuted and works.
>
> The microphone is not muted in the System and indeed works well alone and
> in
> vision in other applications (like Eyeball), but not in MSN. I did suspect
> firewall problem but disabled McAfee and the problem remained. Can anyone
> give me a pointer as to what is likely to be the cause of this problem in
> MSN?
>
> I admit this particular Pc system is not of great spec - about 800Mhz CPU,
> 256mB RAM running 500mbs Broadband but friends have it working on similar
> PC's. I have tried connecting to several friends from this PC (all of
> whom
> have MSN Messenger working fine) but the same thing happens each time.
>
> Any help will be much appriciated.
>
> Noodles

=?Utf-8?B?Tm9vZGxlcw==?=

Many thanks. Indeed since posting I have discovered the MSN newsgroup and
find that there are many identical questions already already being raised. At
least I am not alone. As yet it remains unanswered, but I am hopeful. Again
thanks.

"Bob Christian" wrote:

> You may want to drop a note in the MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger
> newsgroup. They have a few MVPs in there that are pretty good as well as a
> few other volunteers and MSFT folks. I don't think that they monitor the
> certification newsgroup.
>
> Chances are it is a small firewall issue.
> --
> Bob Christian II
> MVP - LCS
> http://bobchristian.blogspot.com - Blog
>

> "Noodles" <Noodlesonline(removethis)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > have set up or assisted in setting up MSN Messenger (v7.5) on several
> > PC'sbut now have met a problem I cannot resolve. Despite switching cameras
> > and microhpones, the same problem exists. Sound will not work with vision.
> > In the Video/Audio setup everything tests out fine and the microphone is
> > found. I can invite to a Voice Conversation. Fine. I can invite to view
> > webcam. Fine. But in a Voice/Video conversation only video and text are
> > permitted. The microphone is shown muted [Red X] and refuses to accept
> > any
> > action to un-mute. If the invite is cancelled and switched to a Voice only
> > conversation, the mcrohpone is automatically shown as unmuted and works.
> >
> > The microphone is not muted in the System and indeed works well alone and
> > in
> > vision in other applications (like Eyeball), but not in MSN. I did suspect
> > firewall problem but disabled McAfee and the problem remained. Can anyone
> > give me a pointer as to what is likely to be the cause of this problem in
> > MSN?
> >
> > I admit this particular Pc system is not of great spec - about 800Mhz CPU,
> > 256mB RAM running 500mbs Broadband but friends have it working on similar
> > PC's. I have tried connecting to several friends from this PC (all of
> > whom
> > have MSN Messenger working fine) but the same thing happens each time.
> >
> > Any help will be much appriciated.
> >
> > Noodles

Bob Christian

Yes, and you are in good hands down there.
All kinds of things can prevent voice and video. Firewalls, whether it be
the one on your PC, your Wireless Cable/DSL router, or even your ISP, or
broadband internet provider, can all be part of the problem.

Bob