Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > STL browsing

STL browsing

michael

Is there any way to view the classes and methods and their descriptions
of the standard c++ libraries like the java api docs that sun hosts on
its website?

Victor Bazarov

"michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> Is there any way to view the classes and methods and their descriptions
> of the standard c++ libraries like the java api docs that sun hosts on
> its website?

If such ability exists, it would be in a tool you're using, not in the
language itself. MS Visual Studio, for example, has that ability. But
it's not a feature of the language and as such OT here, sorry.

Alf P. Steinbach

* Victor Bazarov:
> "michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> > Is there any way to view the classes and methods and their descriptions
> > of the standard c++ libraries like the java api docs that sun hosts on
> > its website?

> If such ability exists, it would be in a tool you're using, not in the
> language itself. MS Visual Studio, for example, has that ability. But
> it's not a feature of the language and as such OT here, sorry.

I disagree, and I think this is in the FAQ somewhere.

There are many websites that offer what the OP requests.

Perhaps the most well-known and also most reliable is Dinkumware's,
currently at <url: http://www.dinkumware.com/refxcpp.html>. Also, MSDN
is extensive, but does not clearly differentiate between what's standard
and what's Microsoft, <url: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library>. And
although probably a bit dated and certainly a bit more than what's now
standard in C++, <url: http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/>; ditto the
seemingly aborted effort at <url: http://www.cplusplus.com/ref/#libs>;
I don't know if there's documentation with StlPort but that's also a
possibility, <url: http://www.stlport.org/download.html>.

Then there is, of course, the definitive reference, the C++ _standard_,
which however costs $18 or something, available in PDF format from ISO
(C++ has a standard but no free definitive reference, Java has no
standard but a free and time-varying reference).

If $18 sounds prohibitive (e.g., I have some in-principle objections to
paying for the standard), then the pre-standard second committee draft,
the "CD2", is available from a number of sources, including Bjarne
Stroustrup's home pages. It can be supplemented with the official
revisions lists, also free. For the dedicated FreeCyber hacker the
official standard is also free on the net, but using that is illegal.

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is it such a bad thing?

James Rafter

michael wrote:
> Is there any way to view the classes and methods and their

descriptions
> of the standard c++ libraries like the java api docs that sun hosts

on
> its website?

Search this group for "library documentation" for a recent thread on
this.

JR

Victor Bazarov

"Alf P. Steinbach" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
>* Victor Bazarov:
>> "michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
>> > Is there any way to view the classes and methods and their descriptions
>> > of the standard c++ libraries like the java api docs that sun hosts on
>> > its website?

>> If such ability exists, it would be in a tool you're using, not in the
>> language itself. MS Visual Studio, for example, has that ability. But
>> it's not a feature of the language and as such OT here, sorry.

> I disagree, and I think this is in the FAQ somewhere.
>
> There are many websites that offer what the OP requests.
> [...]

OK, OK, I misunderstood. I thought the request was for browsing the
source written by the programmer.

You're correct, plenty of documentation web sites.

michael

thanks for all of your help. it's kind of frustrating not knowing
what's really available for me to use in the c++ libraries. sun's docs
should be the standard for this kind of thing. anyway, thanks again.

Default User

michael wrote:

> thanks for all of your help. it's kind of frustrating not knowing
> what's really available for me to use in the c++ libraries. sun's docs
> should be the standard for this kind of thing.

That's a curious opinion. Why should Sun's documents be the standard
for anything to do with C++? Especially as there is a standard.

Are you confusing C++ and Java? Java was largely created by Sun. As far
as I know they little to do with developing anything in C++.

Brian

michael

i was simply stating that the way sun documents its apis should be the
way other languages do. i said nothing of the actual implementation of
the apis.