Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > What compilier for Windows?

What compilier for Windows?

SimonYingling

I'm a young programmer, but definitly see my self doing this for the
rest of my life. I'm 15 and into C++. I was wondering if a good
compilier for Windows would be Visual C++ 6.0. I have used Dev C++ and
Turbo C++ (at school =x) and am lucking into a better compilier now
that I have money to spend. Any comments are accepted, even if they
are for a different compilier. Thank you in advance.

le ténébreux

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (SimonYingling) wrote:

> I'm a young programmer, but definitly see my self doing this for the
> rest of my life. I'm 15 and into C++. I was wondering if a good
> compilier for Windows would be Visual C++ 6.0. I have used Dev C++ and
> Turbo C++ (at school =x) and am lucking into a better compilier now
> that I have money to spend. Any comments are accepted, even if they
> are for a different compilier. Thank you in advance.

If you go for VC++ 6, make sure you get the Professional edition.
When you buy the Standard edition, you install it then discover
that the compiler optimizations have been helpfully disabled by M$.

Ioannis Vranos

SimonYingling wrote:

> I'm a young programmer, but definitly see my self doing this for the
> rest of my life. I'm 15 and into C++. I was wondering if a good
> compilier for Windows would be Visual C++ 6.0. I have used Dev C++ and
> Turbo C++ (at school =x) and am lucking into a better compilier now
> that I have money to spend. Any comments are accepted, even if they
> are for a different compilier. Thank you in advance.

The latest version of Visual Studio is 2003.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys

chq

Try Visual C++ 2003 Toolkit, it's free. You can obtain it at M$ website.

EventHelix.com

You can download the Visual C++ compiler for free from:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 includes the optimizing compiler
included with VC++ 2003.

Deepa
--
http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
EventStudio 2.5 - Generate Sequence Diagrams in PDF and MS-Word

Matthias =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=E4ppler?=

SimonYingling wrote:

> I'm a young programmer, but definitly see my self doing this for the
> rest of my life. I'm 15 and into C++. I was wondering if a good
> compilier for Windows would be Visual C++ 6.0. I have used Dev C++ and
> Turbo C++ (at school =x) and am lucking into a better compilier now
> that I have money to spend. Any comments are accepted, even if they
> are for a different compilier. Thank you in advance.

Just curious: Since Dev-C++ is not a compiler but an IDE, and uses a gcc
Windows port called "Minimalist GNU for Win32" (mingw32), in how far do you
feel the MS compiler would be better?

In fact, my advise would be to NOT start off with a MS compiler when you're
a beginner. You will get used to all those Microsoft specific extensions,
and if you some day want to port your programs you'll have a hard time.

Regards,
Matthias

Ioannis Vranos

Matthias Käppler wrote:

> Just curious: Since Dev-C++ is not a compiler but an IDE, and uses a gcc
> Windows port called "Minimalist GNU for Win32" (mingw32), in how far do you
> feel the MS compiler would be better?
>
> In fact, my advise would be to NOT start off with a MS compiler when you're
> a beginner. You will get used to all those Microsoft specific extensions,
> and if you some day want to port your programs you'll have a hard time.

Dev-C++ is OK to learn ISO C++. Also nowadays, VC++ is not suitable for
beginners to learn C++ but is oriented to experienced developers to
create Windows (.NET) software fast.

--

Ioannis Vranos wrote:

> Dev-C++ is OK to learn ISO C++.

The point is, Dev-C++ is not a compiler, it's an IDE. Therefore, it doesn't
really have anyting to do with the "learning factor". In fact, it would
actually be best to start off with a bare text editor and a command line
compiler instead of a fully fledged IDE. It only hides those things from
you which you have to learn some day anyway.

> Also nowadays, VC++ is not suitable for
> beginners to learn C++ but is oriented to experienced developers to
> create Windows (.NET) software fast.

My thoughts.

Regards,
Matthias

20thCenturyBoy

Ioannis Vranos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<1102271760.415879@athnrd02>...
> Matthias Käppler wrote:
>
> > Just curious: Since Dev-C++ is not a compiler but an IDE, and uses a gcc
> > Windows port called "Minimalist GNU for Win32" (mingw32), in how far do you
> > feel the MS compiler would be better?
> >
> > In fact, my advise would be to NOT start off with a MS compiler when you're
> > a beginner. You will get used to all those Microsoft specific extensions,
> > and if you some day want to port your programs you'll have a hard time.

> Dev-C++ is OK to learn ISO C++. Also nowadays, VC++ is not suitable for
> beginners to learn C++ but is oriented to experienced developers to
> create Windows (.NET) software fast.

I disagree. VC++ (2003 edition) is fine for learning C++. Just create
a Win32 console project and you're up and running. I used VC++ with
Accelerated C++ with no problem. To turn off MS extensions just use
the /Za switch.

--
Martin

Duane

"Ioannis Vranos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:1102271760.415879@athnrd02...
> Dev-C++ is OK to learn ISO C++. Also nowadays, VC++ is not suitable for
> beginners to learn C++ but is oriented to experienced developers to
> create Windows (.NET) software fast.

How so? We do most of our development these days with VC++/Qt.
No .Net at all. No MFC. No managed stuff.

The IDE is OK and the dinkumware libs work fine.
You're not forced to do any .Net or managed stuff. The first setting to
change in the IDE is to disable managed extensions. You can then
build console apps or win32 apps.