Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Where have all the umlauts gone?

Where have all the umlauts gone?

Moritz Beller

Hello!

Given an array of chars such as
char array[] = "Umlauts "
(that is definitely able to handle those special characters) a
conversion to string returns in getting ripped of the special characters
. Obviously, this is something I don't wanna see happen, but
otherwise, I don't even have a clue on how to avoid it.

Any help urgently required

best regards / Gru
Moritz Beller
--
web http://www.4momo.de
mail momo dot beller at t-online dot de

Victor Bazarov

"Moritz Beller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> Given an array of chars such as
> char array[] = "Umlauts "
> (that is definitely able to handle those special characters) a
> conversion to string returns in getting ripped of the special characters
> oau. Obviously, this is something I don't wanna see happen, but
> otherwise, I don't even have a clue on how to avoid it.
>
> Any help urgently required

String literals cannot contain "extended" characters directly. You
need to put them there in the form of the universal-character-name
or an escape sequence. For example, the u-umlaut has Unicode code
00FC, so you'd probably put it there using \u00fc. Your literal
should become

"Umlauts \u00f6\u00e4\u00fc"

(I couldn't test this on my system, though). I bet those things are
platform-specific.