Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > install source code to a drive other than "C:\" ?

install source code to a drive other than "C:\" ?

Adam

My "C:\" is getting full. What's the best way to
install "wxWindows" without taking up 115 MB from my "C:\" ?

Why do the following:

MS Visual Studio, wxWindows, Borland C++,
Stingray Objective Studio, ARM SDT, etc.

like to install source code to the "C:\" drive?

Fao, Sean

Adam wrote:
> My "C:\" is getting full. What's the best way to
> install "wxWindows" without taking up 115 MB from my "C:\" ?
>
> Why do the following:
>
> MS Visual Studio, wxWindows, Borland C++,
> Stingray Objective Studio, ARM SDT, etc.
>
> like to install source code to the "C:\" drive?

What on Earth made you think this was topical in comp.lang.c or
comp.lang.c++. I don't know about the others two because I've never
been to them.

--
Sean

Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 23:31:58 GMT, in comp.lang.c , "Adam"
<adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:

>My "C:\" is getting full. What's the best way to
>install "wxWindows" without taking up 115 MB from my "C:\" ?

This has NOTHING to do with the C programming language. I suggest you read
the wxWindows documentation to see what alternatives there are.
--
Mark McIntyre

Flash Gordon

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 23:31:58 GMT
"Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:

> My "C:\" is getting full. What's the best way to
> install "wxWindows" without taking up 115 MB from my "C:\" ?

What does this have to do with programming in standard C?

> Why do the following:
>
> MS Visual Studio, wxWindows, Borland C++,
> Stingray Objective Studio, ARM SDT, etc.
>
> like to install source code to the "C:\" drive?

What does this have to do with programming in standard C?

I believe the same could be said for comp.lang.c++ (with the addition of
a post-increment as for comp.lang.c so I'm deleting those groups from
the followups.

I'll leave it for the groups I don't know to further trim things if they
wish.
--
Flash Gordon
Living in interesting times.

Malcolm

"Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote

> Why do the following:
>
> MS Visual Studio, wxWindows, Borland C++,
> Stingray Objective Studio, ARM SDT, etc.
>
> like to install source code to the "C:\" drive?

Where do you expect C to go, if not to the C drive?

Adam

It would be nice if compilers / libraries gave users the option to
install source code (and thus, objs, libs, etc.) to a location of
his / her choosing. That way, users can install the application to
the "C:\" drive and the source code to a data drive (like "D:\"),
which could be a logical partition.

Doing a search on my "C:\" drive for *.obj was alarming,
especially when there are debug / release versions.
And then, within debug / release version, there are
unicode / ascii, static / dynamic, etc.

"Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cmjr5q$ana$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote
> >
> > Why do the following:
> >
> > MS Visual Studio, wxWindows, Borland C++,
> > Stingray Objective Studio, ARM SDT, etc.
> >
> > like to install source code to the "C:\" drive?
> >

> Where do you expect C to go, if not to the C drive?

Flash Gordon

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 01:07:08 GMT
"Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:

> It would be nice if compilers / libraries gave users the option to
> install source code (and thus, objs, libs, etc.) to a location of

<snip>

Please stop discussing your implementation on comp.lang.c and
comp.lang.c++, these groups are here to discuss the languages, not the
particulars of your implementation.

> "Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cmjr5q$ana$(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

Please don't top post. Your reply belongs under the text you are
replying to which should be suitable snipped.

Followups set.
--
Flash Gordon
Living in interesting times.

Kenny McCormack

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-gordon.me.uk>,
Flash Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 01:07:08 GMT
>"Adam" <adam@no_thanks.com> wrote:
>
>> It would be nice if compilers / libraries gave users the option to
>> install source code (and thus, objs, libs, etc.) to a location of

><snip>
>
>Please stop discussing your implementation on comp.lang.c and
>comp.lang.c++, these groups are here to discuss the languages, not the
>particulars of your implementation.

He is talking about stuff having to do with his "C" drive.
It seems reasonable to me that a newsgroup named something like
"something.c" might be helpful to him.

>> "Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:cmjr5q$ana$(E-Mail Removed)...

><snip>
>
>Please don't top post. Your reply belongs under the text you are
>replying to which should be suitable snipped.

</opinion-about-the-endless-top-posting-debate>
I am an old line, old line, Usenetter and, in theory, I agree with the
basic idea of how-to-post - you will note that I always post that way. But
here's the thing - I'm smart enough to do it correctly. It is an
unfortunate, sad, but alas true fact of life that most people today (coming
from Microsoft/Google or AOL/WebTV or worse) aren't smart enough to do it
correctly. In particular, if you use Outlook Express (as most people do
today), it (OE) so badly screws up the quoting structure of most posts that
it is impossible to navigate (using the usual tools/conventions found in
normal [classical Unix] newsreaders). I've found that with the typical
bottom-posted but screwed up by OE post (*), I just go to the bottom of the
post anyway, so it might as well have been top-posted.

Yes, I am aware that by doing so, I run the risk of missing any
"included/interleaved" new material. Sad, but necessary.

(*) Which often consists of pages and pages of quoted text followed by
2 or 3 lines of new material, at the bottom.

Mark McIntyre

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 15:59:17 GMT, in comp.lang.c ,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Kenny McCormack) wrote:

>He is talking about stuff having to do with his "C" drive.
>It seems reasonable to me that a newsgroup named something like
>"something.c" might be helpful to him.

And comp.lang.c++ ? Last time I checked, drives went from A to Z, and C++
was an illegal name....

--
Mark McIntyre

Real Name

"Mark McIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> And comp.lang.c++ ? Last time I checked, drives went from A to Z, and C++
> was an illegal name....

But installing something onto drive C and then switching to drive D lokks
like "C++"?!