Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > STL alternatives?

STL alternatives?

Cy Edmunds

"christopher diggins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lj8jd.79579$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "John Harrison" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "christopher diggins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:sG6jd.72648$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I am looking for any free libraries which provide a wrapper around or are
>>>an alternative to the STL. I am familiar with Boost and STLSoft. Would
>>>anyone be able to provide other alternatives?
>>>
>>> Specifically I am most interested in libraries which have the
>>> functionality of the STL but are easier to learn for beginners.
>>>

>> I honestly think you would be better off learning the STL. Given that the
>> STL is free and standard I think it's pretty much wiped the floor with
>> any competition. What aspect of it are you having difficultly with?
>>
>> John

> Thanks for the offer of help John. I am actually very familiar with the
> STL, and I am looking into developing an object-oriented wrapper libray
> for people who desire a less intimidating and more "high-level" library.
>
> What frustrates me is that we have a lot of developers using primitive
> scripting languages because they are supposedly more "high-level" than
> C++. I figured if I could make available a simpler and more
> object-oriented wrapper around the Boost and STL then maybe we could put
> an end to the whole idea that you need an "agile language" to develop
> software quickly and easily.
>
> Christopher Diggins
> http://www.cdiggins.com

I agree with John that the STL is really your best C++ alternative. But it
certainly doesn't make C++ what I would call "agile". For agility I would
suggest a good scripting language such as Python. Of course Python is slow
during execution which is why I use both languages.

--
Cy
http://home.rochester.rr.com/cyhome/

Keith H Duggar

interesting read concerning STL being "low level" as well
as an EasySTL library

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~bcorfm1/C++-vs-Lisp.html
http://userpages.umbc.edu/%7Ebcorfm1/easystl.zip

christopher diggins

"Keith H Duggar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> interesting read concerning STL being "low level" as well
> as an EasySTL library
>
> http://userpages.umbc.edu/~bcorfm1/C++-vs-Lisp.html
> http://userpages.umbc.edu/%7Ebcorfm1/easystl.zip

Thank you very much this is very useful. I had heard passing mention to this
library, and I am glad to have found it.

- Christopher Diggins