Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > creating and using .lib files

creating and using .lib files

slashman

Hi,
I wud like to know how to create and use .lib files from a few c++
classes i have created that are common to a lot of my projects. My
guess is .lib files can b used in windows and linux (please correct me
if i'm worng). And if u guys cud also let me know where i cud find out
such information in the future (books or websites) it would b
x-tremely helpful
thanks in advance
vivek

Karthik Kumar

slashman wrote:
> Hi,
> I wud like to know how to create and use .lib files from a few c++
> classes i have created that are common to a lot of my projects.

.lib is a file extension used by MS VC++ implementation for library
archives. The C++ standard does not specify the extension / format
of the archive. So if you want to create an archive for your
classes, you have to check out the implementation details.

<OT>
Say, on GCC environment - you would use the gcc -c option to
get the .o files. and then 'ar' command to archive.
This could be different on your implementation.
</OT>

>My
> guess is .lib files can b used in windows and linux (please correct me
> if i'm worng).

You cannot play around with the same .lib file across
different software platforms. You have to compile them
specifically with the relevant build system for the
target platform.

> And if u guys cud also let me know where i cud find out
> such information in the future (books or websites) it would b
> x-tremely helpful

google.com for your favourite implementation
(MS VC++, GNU C++ whatever).

--
Karthik. http://akktech.blogspot.com .
' Remove _nospamplz from my email to mail me. '

puppet_sock@hotmail.com

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (slashman) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
[snip other mangled `leet speak]
> (please correct me