Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Degree VS Certification

Degree VS Certification

Robert Lie

Dear All,

Which one is better, bachelor degree or certification?
Is there any white paper that study about this matter?

Thanks

Robert Lie

T-Bone

"Robert Lie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Which one is better, bachelor degree or certification?
> Is there any white paper that study about this matter?

Degree is better. No whitepaper needed, just check past postings in these
groups and you'll see.
--
T-Bone
MCNGP XL

Robert Lie

If degree is better, so why someone need to take some certification?
so what the real benefit of the certification?

Thanks

T-Bone wrote:
> "Robert Lie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>
>>Which one is better, bachelor degree or certification?
>>Is there any white paper that study about this matter?

> Degree is better. No whitepaper needed, just check past postings in these
> groups and you'll see.

Brandon Baker

I have worked in the field for a little over 5 years. Here is what I am
seeing. People with certifications usually perform better and have more
knowledge about the products they get certified on, they are more
specialized. People with degrees still get jobs, often easier than others
who have certs. I think due to the ignorance of hiring managers. I think it
is better to get certified first, you will have a better understanding of
technologies in the field. Get a degree second, after you are in the field.
It will help you get the management positions later on.

By the way, there is a guy here who is getting his Masters in MIS, almost
completed. The other day he asked me how to hook up two computers together
so he could move data from one to the other. Anyone with an A+ could tell
you how to do that.

"Robert Lie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If degree is better, so why someone need to take some certification?
> so what the real benefit of the certification?
>
> Thanks
>
> T-Bone wrote:
>> "Robert Lie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>
>>>Which one is better, bachelor degree or certification?
>>>Is there any white paper that study about this matter?

>> Degree is better. No whitepaper needed, just check past postings in these
>> groups and you'll see.

T-Bone

"Robert Lie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> If degree is better, so why someone need to take some certification?
> so what the real benefit of the certification?

Certifications are supposed to show that you know about what product you are
certified in. However, at the moment certs (at least the MS ones) are not
really good for much except getting your resume past the HR filters.

There are lots of good reasons to get a degree, both personal and
professional reasons. Maybe somone out there who is a hiring manager could
explain what values they add to a resume.
--
T-Bone
MCNGP XL

Wesley Long

OK, this is going to make a lot of people mad, but here is what I have come
to believe - through years of experience:

It depends on the person who's doing the hiring.

If it's a technical-minded person who is looking for someone to do specific
jobs, certifications will be what you want.

If it's a management person with an MBA who's still paying his student loans
10 years into his career - he'll be looking for someone else with a degree.
After all, why should he be the only one who suffered through 2 semesters of
Western European Art History in order to manage a warehouse and trucking
company?

A little jaded, but the truth.

Do what I did - get both.

On a slightly more dispassionate note: Degrees are better, but they're
dated. Certifications have to be renewed as technology evolves. The person
with a 20-year old computer science degree may be every bit as skilled and
knowledgeable, but the certification means that they demonstrated
proficiency very recently.

Overall, though, a certification is just like a diploma: It's the most
valuable thing in the world if you don't have it, and it's the most
worthless thing in the world once you do.

Getting a job is a skill in itself. You have to make the person who makes
the hiring decision believe that you are the most skilled person applying
that they can afford, and that you are able to work inside the roll that
they need. Degrees and certs are only tools to be used in that sales job.
Networking is huge. When you see a job posting, you need to get the story
behind the posting, and that's where your friends and colleagues come in.
Find out WHY the job is being posted, and you're 10 steps ahead of everyone
else you're competing with. Is it a new product? Replacing someone? If
so, why is that someone not there anymore? Is this job building the
company's primary revenue source, or is it supporting another process. I.E.
if you're going to apply to Maytag, they're much more interested in a drier
that won't scorch a shirt than in a "phenomenally new approach to web
development."

Degrees and Certifications alone will NEVER guarantee getting an interview,
let alone a job. They have to be a part (albeit an important part) of your
overall marketing strategy. And make no mistake - marketing yourself is
what you're doing, whether you're a W-2 programmer, contract developer, or
IT consultant.

"Robert Lie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear All,
>
> Which one is better, bachelor degree or certification?
> Is there any white paper that study about this matter?
>
> Thanks
>
> Robert Lie

Bob Christian

It's kind of like Med school (on-topic because of the braindumping
doctor)...
You finish Med school and then you learn your specialty (dermatology,
surgery fellowship, etc).

In all seriousness...certifications can expire and lose relevance. OH, YOU
ARE AN MCSE!!! WOW! What is it in? NT4...OH, so you are an mcse in nt4...

A degree, even if it is 20 years old, is still a degree. It can be hard to
get into management without a degree. While people break into the
management ranks without a degree quite often., more often than not they
need a degree to break into upper management. Exceptions are when you own
the business...or when you have been with a company long enough that they
feel like you are ready for management and promote you. Note that some
companies require you to get a degree (and pay for it) when you get to a
certain level, such as director.

Do it now while you are young and still know everything =^)

--
Bob Christian II
http://bobchristian.blogspot.com - Blog

"Robert Lie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If degree is better, so why someone need to take some certification?
> so what the real benefit of the certification?
>
> Thanks
>
> T-Bone wrote:
>> "Robert Lie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>
>>>Which one is better, bachelor degree or certification?
>>>Is there any white paper that study about this matter?

>> Degree is better. No whitepaper needed, just check past postings in these
>> groups and you'll see.

Brandon Baker

Excellent post Wesley.

"Wesley Long" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> OK, this is going to make a lot of people mad, but here is what I have
> come to believe - through years of experience:
>
> It depends on the person who's doing the hiring.
>
> If it's a technical-minded person who is looking for someone to do
> specific jobs, certifications will be what you want.
>
> If it's a management person with an MBA who's still paying his student
> loans 10 years into his career - he'll be looking for someone else with a
> degree. After all, why should he be the only one who suffered through 2
> semesters of Western European Art History in order to manage a warehouse
> and trucking company?
>
> A little jaded, but the truth.
>
> Do what I did - get both.
>

> On a slightly more dispassionate note: Degrees are better, but they're
> dated. Certifications have to be renewed as technology evolves. The
> person with a 20-year old computer science degree may be every bit as
> skilled and knowledgeable, but the certification means that they
> demonstrated proficiency very recently.
>
> Overall, though, a certification is just like a diploma: It's the most
> valuable thing in the world if you don't have it, and it's the most
> worthless thing in the world once you do.
>
> Getting a job is a skill in itself. You have to make the person who makes
> the hiring decision believe that you are the most skilled person applying
> that they can afford, and that you are able to work inside the roll that
> they need. Degrees and certs are only tools to be used in that sales job.
> Networking is huge. When you see a job posting, you need to get the story
> behind the posting, and that's where your friends and colleagues come in.
> Find out WHY the job is being posted, and you're 10 steps ahead of
> everyone else you're competing with. Is it a new product? Replacing
> someone? If so, why is that someone not there anymore? Is this job
> building the company's primary revenue source, or is it supporting another
> process. I.E. if you're going to apply to Maytag, they're much more
> interested in a drier that won't scorch a shirt than in a "phenomenally
> new approach to web development."
>
> Degrees and Certifications alone will NEVER guarantee getting an
> interview, let alone a job. They have to be a part (albeit an important
> part) of your overall marketing strategy. And make no mistake - marketing
> yourself is what you're doing, whether you're a W-2 programmer, contract
> developer, or IT consultant.
>

> "Robert Lie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Which one is better, bachelor degree or certification?
>> Is there any white paper that study about this matter?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Robert Lie

Jeffery

Robert, I have two Masters (MBA) & (MSM) and 15 years of Information
Technology experience. I'm currently debating about going back to school to
obtain a certificated (PMI) / (MCSE). So far my Masters has NOT helped me
in my career. A lot of recruiter calls me, but their clients are looking
for PMI or MCSE in other words some type of certification. So far what I'm
experiencing, that a MASTER does not carry as much weight like it use too.
But remember I live in Michigan were the unemployment rate is 7.5%, which is
high compare to the national rate. There is no right of wrong answer,
just go with your gut feeling.

"Robert Lie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear All,
>
> Which one is better, bachelor degree or certification?
> Is there any white paper that study about this matter?
>
> Thanks
>
> Robert Lie

Jeffery

One more comment: Networking is huge...
"Jeffery" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Robert, I have two Masters (MBA) & (MSM) and 15 years of Information
> Technology experience. I'm currently debating about going back to school

> obtain a certificated (PMI) / (MCSE). So far my Masters has NOT helped me
> in my career. A lot of recruiter calls me, but their clients are looking
> for PMI or MCSE in other words some type of certification. So far what I'm
> experiencing, that a MASTER does not carry as much weight like it use too.
> But remember I live in Michigan were the unemployment rate is 7.5%, which

is
> high compare to the national rate. There is no right of wrong answer,
> just go with your gut feeling.
>
> "Robert Lie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Dear All,
> >
> > Which one is better, bachelor degree or certification?
> > Is there any white paper that study about this matter?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Robert Lie

2 year AAS degree (w/certs) vs. 4 year CIS degree smolderingwick Microsoft Certification 0 02-06-2011 04:44 PM
converting MCSE degree to university degree mcp farahani MCSE 2 11-13-2009 06:53 PM
Counting down an integer vector from the highest degree (111) to the lowest degree (000) Matt Chwastek C++ 6 11-20-2006 10:51 PM
College degree or Certification? MCSE 57 01-17-2006 06:28 PM
Certification vs Degree msnews.microsoft.com MCSD 11 04-23-2004 01:57 PM

Advertisments