Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Titles after name

Titles after name

Brandon Baker

What does everyone in the field put after their name? What do you think
looks good? How do you list yours, after your name or on a line below? I am
just wandering what everyone else in this field is doing. As you can see I
currently have 4 certs. I am just weeks away from upgrading me MCSA and MCSE
to 03. I am also currently over half way through my CCNA. Of course you want
everyone you email and give a business card to know about your
accomplishments but how do you keep it professional looking? Thanks for any
input on this matter.

--
Brandon Baker
A+, Net+, MCSA, MCSE

DST

My 2 cent:

I would only mention MCSE in your case, because I consider this as the
'highest' cert you have. But I would mention the version of your cert:
MCSE for Windows 2000 (there is a big difference between NT4 and
W2K/W2K3)

This is what I do:

My certs:
- MCP
- MCAD for .NET
- MCSD for .NET
- MCDBA for Microsoft SQL Server 2000
- MCSA for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
- MCSE for Microsoft Windows Server 2003

I'm a consultant, and I work at the office of an important client of my
company.

My company values certifications highly, and motivates us to get
certified. That's why I mention these certs in my signature on my
company e-mail account.

- MCSD for Microsoft .NET
- MCSE for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
- MCDBA for Microsoft SQL Server 2000

I've also an e-mail account at our client. There my sig only mentions
'MCSD for Microsoft .NET', because I was doing mainly development and
I'm the only MCSD for .NET there. I've done this because I want to
stress my development expertise.

But now my work is becoming more security related, and once I've got my
MCSE/Security cert, I'll add that to my signature, to stress that I've
been improving my skills for my changed work environment.

To summarize:
- for company e-mail, I mention all my 'highest' certs to promote the
professional image of our company
- for client e-mail, I select the certs according to the function I
have
- I don't mention certs in my private e-mail
- I always mention the version of my cert

I don't have an up-to-date business card.

DST

Brandon Baker

So do you list those certs line by line under your name, just like you did
below?

"DST" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> My 2 cent:
>
> I would only mention MCSE in your case, because I consider this as the
> 'highest' cert you have. But I would mention the version of your cert:
> MCSE for Windows 2000 (there is a big difference between NT4 and
> W2K/W2K3)
>
> This is what I do:
>
> My certs:
> - MCP
> - MCAD for .NET
> - MCSD for .NET
> - MCDBA for Microsoft SQL Server 2000
> - MCSA for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
> - MCSE for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
>
> I'm a consultant, and I work at the office of an important client of my
> company.
>
> My company values certifications highly, and motivates us to get
> certified. That's why I mention these certs in my signature on my
> company e-mail account.
>
> - MCSD for Microsoft .NET
> - MCSE for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
> - MCDBA for Microsoft SQL Server 2000
>
> I've also an e-mail account at our client. There my sig only mentions
> 'MCSD for Microsoft .NET', because I was doing mainly development and
> I'm the only MCSD for .NET there. I've done this because I want to
> stress my development expertise.
>
> But now my work is becoming more security related, and once I've got my
> MCSE/Security cert, I'll add that to my signature, to stress that I've
> been improving my skills for my changed work environment.
>
> To summarize:
> - for company e-mail, I mention all my 'highest' certs to promote the
> professional image of our company
> - for client e-mail, I select the certs according to the function I
> have
> - I don't mention certs in my private e-mail
> - I always mention the version of my cert
>
> I don't have an up-to-date business card.
>
> DST

DST

Yes, like this (BTW, I work in Belgium):

---------------------------------------
Didier Stevens
- MCSD for Microsoft .NET
- MCSE for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
- MCDBA for Microsoft SQL Server 2000
Contraste Europe NV

=?Utf-8?B?TWl0Y2ggR2FydmlzLCBNQ1NB?=

As you see I only list my MCSA (and do not mention that it is on 2000) and I
list it after my name. I work in Canada.
--
Mitchell D. Garvis, MCSA
www.e-mitch.com

"DST" wrote:

> Yes, like this (BTW, I work in Belgium):
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Didier Stevens
> - MCSD for Microsoft .NET
> - MCSE for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
> - MCDBA for Microsoft SQL Server 2000
> Contraste Europe NV

Bob Christian

I don't mention any of my titles/certs in e-mail or on posts...but I do list
them on a resume.

I work in the U.S.

--
Bob Christian II
http://bobchristian.blogspot.com - Blog

"Mitch Garvis, MCSA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> As you see I only list my MCSA (and do not mention that it is on 2000) and
> list it after my name. I work in Canada.
> --
> Mitchell D. Garvis, MCSA
> www.e-mitch.com
>

> "DST" wrote:
>
>> Yes, like this (BTW, I work in Belgium):
>>
>> ---------------------------------------
>> Didier Stevens
>> - MCSD for Microsoft .NET
>> - MCSE for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
>> - MCDBA for Microsoft SQL Server 2000
>> Contraste Europe NV

Hmm. Mine would be a bit cumbersome:

- MCDBA for Microsoft SQL Server 2000
- MCSE: Security for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
- MCSA: Security for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
- MCSE for Microsoft Windows 2000
- MCSA for Microsoft Windows 2000
- MCSE for Microsoft Windows NT
- Security+

"DST" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Yes, like this (BTW, I work in Belgium):
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Didier Stevens
> - MCSD for Microsoft .NET
> - MCSE for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
> - MCDBA for Microsoft SQL Server 2000
> Contraste Europe NV

Brandon Baker

So what do you guys who have a lot of certs put. DST makes sense when he
said only to put relevant info, but what about some who has 4 or 5 certs
that are all relevant. For instance, what about someone who has Security+,
MCSE 2k, MCSE 03 Security, CCNA, CISSP? What should this person put after
their name on an email or business card?

"R" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hmm. Mine would be a bit cumbersome:

> - MCDBA for Microsoft SQL Server 2000
> - MCSE: Security for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
> - MCSA: Security for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
> - MCSE for Microsoft Windows 2000
> - MCSA for Microsoft Windows 2000
> - MCSE for Microsoft Windows NT
> - Security+
>
> "DST" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Yes, like this (BTW, I work in Belgium):
>>
>> ---------------------------------------
>> Didier Stevens
>> - MCSD for Microsoft .NET
>> - MCSE for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
>> - MCDBA for Microsoft SQL Server 2000
>> Contraste Europe NV

=?Utf-8?B?dG9j?=

Why add MCSA when yoou have MCSE since by default if you have MCSE, you have
MCSA? Always sort of makes me laugh when people list ALL their certificates,
including MCP.

By the way, I am an MCSA 2000 en route for MCSA 2003. If you are posting
resumes, you will sometimes be overqualified and passed aside if you use your
MCSE degree. Be careful what you use, tailor it to your audience.

My last instructor said the gold standard was the MCSA 2003, that's where
most of the jobs are, relative to MCSE 2003. There's only so much designing
work out there, anyway.

> > - MCDBA for Microsoft SQL Server 2000
> > - MCSE: Security for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
> > - MCSA: Security for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
> > - MCSE for Microsoft Windows 2000
> > - MCSA for Microsoft Windows 2000
> > - MCSE for Microsoft Windows NT
> > - Security+
> >
> > "DST" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >> Yes, like this (BTW, I work in Belgium):
> >>
> >> ---------------------------------------
> >> Didier Stevens
> >> - MCSD for Microsoft .NET
> >> - MCSE for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
> >> - MCDBA for Microsoft SQL Server 2000
> >> Contraste Europe NV

MCSE doesn't necssarily mean you have MCSA, but I agree you only need to
display the highest level cert. So, I wouldn't bother listing MCSA, or
Security+ as I have MCSE: Security. But, it is relevant to show different
operating systems at MCSE.

For me, maybe something like this:

R MCSE (2003:Security, 2000, NT4), MCDBA

news:(E-Mail Removed)...