Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > [ann] WIN32GUI - v1.5.1 released

[ann] WIN32GUI - v1.5.1 released

John Torjo

Hi all,

Version 1.5.1 of WIN32GUI has been released.
Get it from: http://www.torjo.com/win32gui/

Win32GUI is a FREE generic library for GUI programming on the Windows
platform, developed in parallel to "Win32 GUI Generics" column in
C/C++ Users Journal.

It is portable, and currently can be compiled with gcc3.3+, vc7.1,
como 4.3.4+ and vc8 (experimental)

Features:
* (v1.5) tooltips. So easy to use, and they work for *menus* too!
* (v1.5) bitmap buttons (they can be set at dialog design time)
Works for push-like check-boxes and radio button as well
You can easily set "hot tracking" for a certain bitmap button
And, they work on MessageBox too!!!
* (v1.5) added hyper_links at dialog design time
* (v1.5) lite HTML class (also, you can set at design time)
* (v1.5) tab dialogs - and you can also set them at dialog design time
(much better than MFC property pages!)
* (v1.5) message reflection
* dialog design time splitters
* easy to create a dialog on a dialog
* thread-safe
* (v1.4+) save_dlg - true binding of your data to UI controls!!!
* very easy to subclass controls/dialogs
* very easy to deal with windows generically (finding out all
children/windows
of a given type, finding out windows that match a certain criteria)
* GUI RAII (as a window gets created on screen, its C++ object gets
created; as it gets destroyed from screen, the C++ object gets
destroyed as well)
* revolutionary simple event handling (no message maps)
* thin yet powerful wrappers over all standard controls
(button,edit,...toolbar,rebar,etc.)
* easy menu command manipulation (menu commands that behave like
checkboxes/radio buttons)
(you'll find examples in sub-directory examples/menus)
* tray window

And much more!

And last but not least, 40+ examples and counting!

Best,
John

Roland Pibinger

On 13 Oct 2004 18:16:56 -0400, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (John Torjo) wrote:

>Version 1.5.1 of WIN32GUI has been released.
>Get it from: http://www.torjo.com/win32gui/
>

>Win32GUI is a FREE generic library for GUI programming on the Windows
>platform, developed in parallel to "Win32 GUI Generics" column in
>C/C++ Users Journal.

Just out of curiosity ...
- Why do you write a library for the legacy Windows-API?
- Why don't you use "modern" approaches like XUL, XAML, ...?

Best regards,
Roland Pibinger

John Torjo

(E-Mail Removed) (Roland Pibinger) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> On 13 Oct 2004 18:16:56 -0400, (E-Mail Removed) (John Torjo) wrote:
>
> >Version 1.5.1 of WIN32GUI has been released.
> >Get it from: http://www.torjo.com/win32gui/
> >

> >Win32GUI is a FREE generic library for GUI programming on the Windows
> >platform, developed in parallel to "Win32 GUI Generics" column in
> >C/C++ Users Journal.

> Just out of curiosity ...
> - Why do you write a library for the legacy Windows-API?

I wouldn't call it legacy. It's quite a nice piece of work, with the
right wrapper on top of it

> - Why don't you use "modern" approaches like XUL, XAML, ...?

Indeed "modern"
As I understand, XUL only allows for scripting, and its event model is
quite simplistic.

(note: I'll touch the event handling in the docs quite these days - so
check it out
Also, stay tuned for the Dec '04 issue of CUJ - you'll be pleasently
surprised.)

As for XAML, just a new M$ "technology".
There are a *very* few things I like about it - painting mostly. Other
than that, just another high-level specification (a little better than
..rc files) - but quite unflexible, if you ask me.
And from what I've read, I really don't like the way it handles
events. I failed to see how can you actually listen to all events that
get triggered by an application.

But most of all, I hate "Avalon", since it deprecates Standard C++.

I will certainly deal with Longhorn, when it comes out

Best,
John

John Torjo, Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
-- "Win32 GUI Generics" -- generics & GUI do mix, after all
-- http://www.torjo.com/win32gui/
-- v1.5 - tooltips at your fingertips (work for menus too!)
+ bitmap buttons, tab dialogs, hyper links, lite html

Kelsey Bjarnason

[snips]

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:16:56 -0400, John Torjo wrote:

> Win32GUI is a FREE generic library for GUI programming on the Windows
> platform...

> It is portable...

So which is it? Is it for Windows only, or is it portable? Good; where
can I get it for, say, X under Linux? Or the Amiga?

Graeme Prentice

On 16 Oct 2004 21:39:57 -0400, ppliu wrote:

>Thanks,John,It's an excellent job!
>IMO,Win32 GUI is the most elegant GUI lib so far.

Do you mean the C++ code and dezign is elegant or the user interface
stuff is elegant. How does it compare with WTL, Microsoft's Win32 C++
template GUI library?

Graeme

Paul Mensonides

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
> [snips]
>
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:16:56 -0400, John Torjo wrote:
>
>> Win32GUI is a FREE generic library for GUI programming on the Windows
>> platform...

>> It is portable...

> So which is it? Is it for Windows only, or is it portable? Good;
> where can I get it for, say, X under Linux? Or the Amiga?

Portability can also mean from compiler to compiler or from one OS version to
another.

Regards,
Paul Mensonides

Ioannis Vranos

John Torjo wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Version 1.5.1 of WIN32GUI has been released.
> Get it from: http://www.torjo.com/win32gui/

I do not want to stop your effort, however doesn't .NET already do the
same things?

Also keep in mind that the Longhorn API will be WinFX (.NET), replacing
Win32.

Win32 will not be developed any more and will remain for compatibility
purposes, the same way Win16 is today.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys

John Torjo

Graeme Prentice <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On 16 Oct 2004 21:39:57 -0400, ppliu wrote:
>
> >Thanks,John,It's an excellent job!
> >IMO,Win32 GUI is the most elegant GUI lib so far.

> Do you mean the C++ code and dezign is elegant or the user interface
> stuff is elegant. How does it compare with WTL, Microsoft's Win32 C++

I would say both - but that definitely makes me biased

> template GUI library?

So I gather you haven't read CUJ

I guess you can compare it yourself. As a matter of fact, I'm working
on the docs right now
(which you can get from http://sf.net/projects/win32gui/).
I'm posting docs versions daily - and welcome all feedback.

Also, you can check out the examples to get you started - there's 41
of them so far.

Best,
John

John Torjo, Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
-- "Win32 GUI Generics" -- generics & GUI do mix, after all
-- http://www.torjo.com/win32gui/
-- v1.5 - tooltips at your fingertips (work for menus too!)
+ bitmap buttons, tab dialogs, hyper links, lite html

20thCenturyBoy

Ioannis Vranos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<1098142257.716016@athnrd02>...

> I do not want to stop your effort, however doesn't .NET already do the
> same things?
>

> Also keep in mind that the Longhorn API will be WinFX (.NET), replacing
> Win32.
>
> Win32 will not be developed any more and will remain for compatibility
> purposes, the same way Win16 is today.

Win32 will be around for a long time. Not everyone will move to
Longhorn immediately. There are some things you can't do easily in
..NET today.

Ioannis Vranos

20thCenturyBoy wrote:
> Ioannis Vranos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<1098142257.716016@athnrd02>...
>

>>I do not want to stop your effort, however doesn't .NET already do the
>>same things?
>>

>>Also keep in mind that the Longhorn API will be WinFX (.NET), replacing
>>Win32.
>>
>>Win32 will not be developed any more and will remain for compatibility
>>purposes, the same way Win16 is today.

> Win32 will be around for a long time. Not everyone will move to
> Longhorn immediately. There are some things you can't do easily in
> .NET today.

Win32 will be around for a long time, for backwards compatibility. All
newer facilities will be provided in WinFX/.NET only.