Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > OT but may be significant

OT but may be significant

Ioannis Vranos

Although off topic, it may be of significance.

From WinInfo Daily Update newsletter:

Kodak Wins Patent-Infringement Suit Against Sun's Java

After a 3-week trial, a federal jury decided that Sun Microsystems
infringed on Kodak patents when Sun developed the Java programming
language and runtime environment. The decision sets the stage for what
could be a massive payout from Sun: Kodak is seeking more than $1
billion in damages. The trial's penalty phase starts this week.
"We are pleased that the court has validated Kodak's
intellectual-property rights protecting these valuable innovations,"
Kodak said in a statement issued yesterday. "Kodak has and continues
to make substantial technology investments to ensure high-quality
products." Sun has promised to mount a "vigorous defense" during the
penalty stage, which isn't a bad idea: The $1.06 billion that Kodak is
seeking is equal to half the operating profit Sun generated between
1998 and June 2001, according to "The Wall Street Journal."
Sun argued that it didn't infringe on Kodak's patents. Furthermore,
Sun argued, Kodak's patents are invalid. Kodak obtained the patents in
question when it purchased Wang Laboratories' imaging software
division in 1997. The patents cover a method by which a software
program can "ask for help" from another program. This method, Kodak
said, is similar to how Java operates.

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys

Victor Bazarov

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> Although off topic, it may be of significance.

For whom?

> From WinInfo Daily Update newsletter:
>

> Kodak Wins Patent-Infringement Suit Against Sun's Java
> [...]

So, more money to corporate lawyers... BFD

Mabden

news:RbZ8d.4061$(E-Mail Removed)09.us.to.ve rio.net...
> Ioannis Vranos wrote:
> >
> > Kodak Wins Patent-Infringement Suit Against Sun's Java
> > [...]

> So, more money to corporate lawyers... BFD

Is this because film is dying now that digital photos are the norm?

--
Mabden

Victor Bazarov

Mabden wrote:
> "Victor Bazarov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:RbZ8d.4061$(E-Mail Removed)09.us.to.ve rio.net...
>
>>Ioannis Vranos wrote:
>>
>>>Kodak Wins Patent-Infringement Suit Against Sun's Java
>>>[...]

>>So, more money to corporate lawyers... BFD

> Is this because film is dying now that digital photos are the norm?

Kodak is probably grasping at straws at this point. What brought it
to that is best answered by economy analysts. Elsewhere.

Ioannis Vranos

And the latest developments:

(WinInfo Daily Update newsletter)

Sun Settles with Kodak for $92 Million
Just days after a federal jury awarded Kodak a victory in its
patent-infringement lawsuit against Sun, the two companies have
settled the case, with Sun paying Kodak $92 million. Under terms of
the agreement, Sun doesn't have to admit any wrongdoing and can
continue to use the contested technology in its Java platform
products. The agreement also prevents Kodak from pursuing Sun
customers. "[This settlement] assures customers worldwide that Sun
will stand behind its products and intellectual property and
eliminates any uncertainty that could result from a protracted lawsuit
and appeal," a Sun statement said.

Honeywell Launches Massive Number of Patent-Infringement Lawsuits
Weren't we just talking about patent infringement? This week,
Honeywell launched lawsuits against more than 30 PC and consumer
electronics companies, claiming violations of its LCD-related patents.
Honeywell's victims include companies such as Apple Computer, Dell,
Kodak, Sanyo, and Sony. Honeywell charges that these companies used
its patented technology for brightening images and reducing
interference on the LCDs used in notebook computers, cell phones, and
other products. The company is seeking monetary damages (naturally)
and injunctions to halt the sale of the offending products. This
patent-infringement stuff is proving so lucrative that some companies
apparently are starting to use it as their sole revenue source. Is it
time for patent reform?

--
Ioannis Vranos

http://www23.brinkster.com/noicys

Mike Wahler

"Ioannis Vranos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> And the latest developments:
>

> (WinInfo Daily Update newsletter)
>

> Sun Settles with Kodak for $92 Million

How does this have the slightest thing to do with
ISO C++?

-Mike

Ioannis Vranos

Mike Wahler wrote:

> How does this have the slightest thing to do with
> ISO C++?

It hasn't directly, that's why it was marked off-topic from the
beginning. However if things had gone well, we would not have many of
them around.

Well I was optimist for a moment.

--

> Mike Wahler wrote:
>
> > How does this have the slightest thing to do with
> > ISO C++?

> It hasn't directly,

Or even indirectly, as far as I can tell.

> that's why it was marked off-topic from the
> beginning.

If you already knew it was off topic, why did you post it?

-Mike