Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Passing member functions to C functions?

Passing member functions to C functions?

Steven T. Hatton

I am trying to convert some basic OpenGL code to an OO form. This is the C
version of the program:

http://www.opengl.org/resources/code...dbook/double.c

You can see what my current effort at converting that code to an OO form
looks like in the code listed below. The problem I'm running into is that
the OpenGL functions that take the names of other functions as arguments
don't like the way I'm passing the member functions of my class. I started
out making all member functions non-static, but couldn't figure out a way
to pass them to functions such as glutDisplayFunc(&GlutMain::display);

Is there a way to accomplish this?

#ifndef GLUTMAIN_HH
#define GLUTMAIN_HH

#include <GL/glut.h>
namespace sth {
namespace vmathGL {
class GlutMain {
public:

GlutMain(int argc, char* argv[]);

virtual ~GlutMain();

void run();

static void init();

static void display();

static void reshape(int w, int h);

static void mouse(int button, int state, int x, int y);

static void key(unsigned char k, int x, int y);

static void spinDisplay();
private:
static GLfloat _spin;
};
}
}
#endif

#include "GlutMain.hh"

#include <cstdlib>

namespace sth {
namespace vmathGL {
GlutMain::GlutMain(int argc, char* argv[])
{
glutInit(&argc, argv);
glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_DOUBLE | GLUT_RGB);
glutInitWindowSize(250,250);

}

GlutMain::~GlutMain()
{

}

void GlutMain::run()
{
init();
glutDisplayFunc(&GlutMain::display); // compiles but segfaults.

/*
glutReshapeFunc(&reshape);
glutMouseFunc(&mouse);
glutMainLoop();
*/
}

void GlutMain::display()
{
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);
glPushMatrix();
glRotatef(_spin, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0);
glColor3f(1.0, 1.0, 1.0);
glRectf(-25.0, -25.0, 25.0, 25.0);
glPopMatrix();
glutSwapBuffers();
}

void GlutMain::init()
{
glClearColor (0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
glShadeModel (GL_FLAT);
}

void GlutMain::reshape(int w, int h)
{
glViewport (0, 0, (GLsizei) w, (GLsizei) h);
glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
glLoadIdentity();
glOrtho(-50.0, 50.0, -50.0, 50.0, -1.0, 1.0);
glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);
glLoadIdentity();
}

void GlutMain::mouse(int button, int state, int x, int y)
{
switch (button) {
case GLUT_LEFT_BUTTON:
if (state == GLUT_DOWN)
glutIdleFunc(spinDisplay);
break;
case GLUT_MIDDLE_BUTTON:
if (state == GLUT_DOWN)
glutIdleFunc(NULL);
break;
default:
break;
}
}

void GlutMain::key(unsigned char k, int x, int y)
{
switch (k) {
case 27: /* Escape */
exit(0);
break;
default:
return;
}
glutPostRedisplay();
}

void GlutMain::spinDisplay()
{
_spin = _spin + 2.0;
if (_spin > 360.0)
_spin = _spin - 360.0;
glutPostRedisplay();
}

GLfloat GlutMain::_spin = 0.0;

}
}

--
"If our hypothesis is about anything and not about some one or more
are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand

David Hilsee

"Steven T. Hatton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am trying to convert some basic OpenGL code to an OO form. This is the

> version of the program:
>
> http://www.opengl.org/resources/code...dbook/double.c
>
> You can see what my current effort at converting that code to an OO form
> looks like in the code listed below. The problem I'm running into is that
> the OpenGL functions that take the names of other functions as arguments
> don't like the way I'm passing the member functions of my class. I

started
> out making all member functions non-static, but couldn't figure out a way
> to pass them to functions such as glutDisplayFunc(&GlutMain::display);
>
> Is there a way to accomplish this?

<snip>

Well, you can't pass non-static member functions as a C callback. To invoke
a non-static member function, you need an object, and C simply doesn't know
how to invoke members on an object. The FAQ discusses this in 33.1, 2, and
3.

I think you might want to take a peek at the GlutMaster implementation
(http://www.duke.edu/~stetten/GlutMas...utMaster.html). It apparently
uses the "window id" as a key for the corresponding callback object, so you
could probably do something similar.

--
David Hilsee

Markus Elfring

> [...]
> Well, you can't pass non-static member functions as a C callback. To invoke
> a non-static member function, you need an object, and C simply doesn't know
> how to invoke members on an object. [...]

http://parashift.com/c%2B%2B-faq-lit....html#faq-33.2

Can function objects/functors also be used for the requested application?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_object

David Hilsee

"Markus Elfring" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > [...]
> > Well, you can't pass non-static member functions as a C callback. To

invoke
> > a non-static member function, you need an object, and C simply doesn't

know
> > how to invoke members on an object. [...]

> http://parashift.com/c%2B%2B-faq-lit....html#faq-33.2
>
> Can function objects/functors also be used for the requested application?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_object

If a library asks for a function pointer as a callback, then, no, you can't
pass it a functor. C libraries often require function pointers and have no
understanding of operator overloading, member functions, etc. The wikipedia
entry is a little misleading because it doesn't mention that the sort
function in the C example and the sort function in the C++ example are
actually two different functions. It should have a declaration of sort() in
each example.

--
David Hilsee

Markus Elfring

> > http://parashift.com/c%2B%2B-faq-lit....html#faq-33.2
> >
> > Can function objects/functors also be used for the requested application?
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_object

> If a library asks for a function pointer as a callback, then, no, you can't
> pass it a functor. C libraries often require function pointers and have no
> understanding of operator overloading, member functions, etc. The wikipedia
> entry is a little misleading because it doesn't mention that the sort
> function in the C example and the sort function in the C++ example are
> actually two different functions. It should have a declaration of sort() in
> each example.

Would you like to improve the article?

Are the descriptions about "functionoids" relevant here?
http://parashift.com/c%2B%2B-faq-lit...html#faq-33.10

Steven T. Hatton

David Hilsee wrote:

> Well, you can't pass non-static member functions as a C callback. To
> invoke a non-static member function, you need an object, and C simply
> doesn't know how to invoke members on an object. The FAQ discusses this in
> 33.1, 2, and 3.

Oh my! I got FAQed. For shame!

I actually had some problems with using static members as well, but don't
recall the details. What I ended up doing was to create a global <blush>
GlutMain* gmPtr and instantiating a corresponding object at the top of
main(). Additionally, I replaced the bodies of the corresponding C
functions with calls to gmPtr->functionName(/*args...*/). In the case where
I had to deal with function pointers, I did this:

void GlutMain::mouse(int button, int state, int x, int y, void(*spinDisp)())
{
switch (button) {
case GLUT_LEFT_BUTTON:
if (state == GLUT_DOWN)
glutIdleFunc(spinDisp);
break;
case GLUT_MIDDLE_BUTTON:
if (state == GLUT_DOWN)
glutIdleFunc(NULL);
break;
default:
break;
}
}

My CVS server had a HD crash last week, so (alack and alas) I have not been
keeping snapshots. I therefore don't have the corresponding version of
spinDisp, but it was very similar to

void spinDisp()
{
gmPtr->spinDisplay();
}

So I pass as an argument to a C++ member function, a pointer to a C
(compatable under current conditions) function that invokes a C++ member
function on the same object. The main() I ended up with looked very similar
to the original redbook example with the addition of the object creation.

How's /that/ for elegant simplicity?

--
"If our hypothesis is about anything and not about some one or more
are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true." - Bertrand
Russell

David Hilsee

"Markus Elfring" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

http://parashift.com/c%2B%2B-faq-lit....html#faq-33.2

> > > Can function objects/functors also be used for the requested

application?
> > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_object

> > If a library asks for a function pointer as a callback, then, no, you

can't
> > pass it a functor. C libraries often require function pointers and have

no
> > understanding of operator overloading, member functions, etc. The

wikipedia
> > entry is a little misleading because it doesn't mention that the sort
> > function in the C example and the sort function in the C++ example are
> > actually two different functions. It should have a declaration of

sort() in
> > each example.

> Would you like to improve the article?
>
> Are the descriptions about "functionoids" relevant here?
> http://parashift.com/c%2B%2B-faq-lit...html#faq-33.10

I added a few extra lines to the example to clarify. The functionoid is
certainly relevant. The C++ example's actually pretty worthless because
there is no way to supply something that implements the comparison function
differently. Perhaps that should be the next enhancement (polymorphism or
templates).

--
David Hilsee

David Hilsee

"Steven T. Hatton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> David Hilsee wrote:
>
> > Well, you can't pass non-static member functions as a C callback. To
> > invoke a non-static member function, you need an object, and C simply
> > doesn't know how to invoke members on an object. The FAQ discusses this

in
> > 33.1, 2, and 3.

> Oh my! I got FAQed. For shame!

Ah, there's no shame in being FAQed. I FAQ everyone. (Better make sure I
pronounce that correctly)

> I actually had some problems with using static members as well, but don't
> recall the details. What I ended up doing was to create a global <blush>
> GlutMain* gmPtr and instantiating a corresponding object at the top of
> main(). Additionally, I replaced the bodies of the corresponding C
> functions with calls to gmPtr->functionName(/*args...*/). In the case

where
> I had to deal with function pointers, I did this:
>
> void GlutMain::mouse(int button, int state, int x, int y,

void(*spinDisp)())
> {
> switch (button) {
> case GLUT_LEFT_BUTTON:
> if (state == GLUT_DOWN)
> glutIdleFunc(spinDisp);
> break;
> case GLUT_MIDDLE_BUTTON:
> if (state == GLUT_DOWN)
> glutIdleFunc(NULL);
> break;
> default:
> break;
> }
> }
>
> My CVS server had a HD crash last week, so (alack and alas) I have not

been
> keeping snapshots. I therefore don't have the corresponding version of
> spinDisp, but it was very similar to
>
> void spinDisp()
> {
> gmPtr->spinDisplay();
> }
>
> So I pass as an argument to a C++ member function, a pointer to a C
> (compatable under current conditions) function that invokes a C++ member
> function on the same object. The main() I ended up with looked very

similar
> to the original redbook example with the addition of the object creation.
>
> How's /that/ for elegant simplicity?

That works. GlutMaster's approach replaced your global with a table, which
is a little better, but in the end, it's about the same, really. I'm
somewhat surprised that the library didn't allow you to register a void* and
a function pointer. That's a common practice that is very friendly to C++
applications.

--
David Hilsee