Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Looking for a direction

Looking for a direction

Jeremy Seago

Hello,

I guess this goes out to those in this group that program at least
semi-professionally. I am very comfortable with the basics of c++,
but I'm looking to broaden my horizons.

My question is this: Do you think it would be more beneficial to look
deeper into the nuts and bolts of programming with C++ (more complex
algorithms, engines and the like) or to look into the more visual
aspects like GUI's.

I am currently enrolled in college as a Computer Science major, but
I'm not very happy with the depth of knowledge that I gain from class
alone so I'm trying to pick up a few things on my own.

Thanks,
Jeremy

PS- I hope this question makes sense.

Victor Bazarov

"Jeremy Seago" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> I guess this goes out to those in this group that program at least
> semi-professionally. I am very comfortable with the basics of c++,
> but I'm looking to broaden my horizons.
>
> My question is this: Do you think it would be more beneficial to look
> deeper into the nuts and bolts of programming with C++ (more complex
> algorithms, engines and the like) or to look into the more visual
> aspects like GUI's.

Punctuation is also an important subject to study...

On a serious note, though, it depends on what you're into more. UI
(whether G or not G) is a whole science in itself, if you want to do
it right. But whether it's GUI or databases or mathematical models,
everything needs "nuts and bolts of programming" to be done well.

> I am currently enrolled in college as a Computer Science major, but
> I'm not very happy with the depth of knowledge that I gain from class
> alone so I'm trying to pick up a few things on my own.

That's good. Don't blame the college, though. Colleges are not there
to teach you how to do things. They are there to teach you how to
learn to do things.

Victor

Default User

Victor Bazarov wrote:

> Punctuation is also an important subject to study...

Such as proper use of the ellipsis?

Brian Rodenborn

Victor Bazarov

Default User wrote:
> Victor Bazarov wrote:
>

>>Punctuation is also an important subject to study...

> Such as proper use of the ellipsis?

Most definitely?!...#%)-+!!!"

Ioannis Vranos

Jeremy Seago wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I guess this goes out to those in this group that program at least
> semi-professionally. I am very comfortable with the basics of c++,
> but I'm looking to broaden my horizons.
>
> My question is this: Do you think it would be more beneficial to look
> deeper into the nuts and bolts of programming with C++ (more complex
> algorithms, engines and the like) or to look into the more visual
> aspects like GUI's.
>
> I am currently enrolled in college as a Computer Science major, but
> I'm not very happy with the depth of knowledge that I gain from class
> alone so I'm trying to pick up a few things on my own.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeremy
>
> PS- I hope this question makes sense.

Are you interested in GUIs? If yes, my suggestion is learn the
fundamentals of C++ (like reading "Accelerated C++" cover to cover) and
then learn the GUI stuff etc. Some periods between system-specific
stuff, devote your time to learn more Standard C++.

So the path (that I am also taking myself) is:

ISO C++ fundamentals.

GUI (myself .NET)

ISO C++ (myself TC++PL3)

Other system specific stuff