Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Re: Gathering Lakos physical dependency metrics

Re: Gathering Lakos physical dependency metrics

Phlip

apm wrote:

> Has anyone tried gathering the physical dependency metrics mentioned
> in John Lakos's book, Large-Scale C++ Software Design? The only
> software I have heard of that tries to do this is Ignominy
> (http://www.ihep.ac.cn/~chep01/paper/8-024.pdf). Has anyone managed to
> use it? It seems like configuring it etc is a high set up cost. I
> think the metrics are useful though so I would be interested to hear
> who else who has had success in this area.

Many of the Lakosian metrics and techniques are a retrofit. Applying others
of his techniques to a small project, before it grows large, will prevent it
from having long compiles.

I X-posted to the C++ mailing list to see if anyone knows more about the
dependency tools. But if your project doesn't take a long time to recompile,
investing your effort in keeping its design clean will avoid the need to
retrofit.

--
Phlip

apm

"Phlip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<pQY%c.173$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> I X-posted to the C++ mailing list to see if anyone knows more about the
> dependency tools.

Thanks.

Large Scale C++ Software Design, by John Lakos al.cpwn@gmail.com C++ 11 03-05-2006 12:18 PM
VHDL Code Metrics Andrew VHDL 6 06-09-2005 03:06 PM
how to map from display metrics to physical metrics... lucy Java 5 08-03-2004 11:24 PM
metrics = hops? Gordon J. Rattray Microsoft Certification 3 05-31-2004 08:42 PM
metrics = hops? Gordon J. Rattray MCSE 4 05-31-2004 08:42 PM

Advertisments