Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > error LNK2019

error LNK2019

Morten Aune Lyrstad

I just received my copy of vc++.net. When I try to compile an "old" vc60
application I suddenly get

unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)"
(?_Xran@std@@YAXXZ) referenced in function "public: class
std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
std::allocator<char> > & __thiscall std::basic_string<char,

etc. etc. etc.

What is the difference between normal c++ and .net?

This may of course be the wrong newsgroup... If so, can anyone point me in
the right direction?

Mike Wahler

"Morten Aune Lyrstad" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fIqXc.3198$g%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I just received my copy of vc++.net. When I try to compile an "old" vc60
> application I suddenly get
>
> unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)"
> (?_Xran@std@@YAXXZ) referenced in function "public: class
> std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
> std::allocator<char> > & __thiscall std::basic_string<char,
>
> etc. etc. etc.
>
> What is the difference between normal c++ and .net?

I don't know what 'normal' C++ is, but the C++ discussed
here is that defined by International Standard ISO/IEC 14882
(a.k.a 'standard C++', 'ISO C++', and 'ANSI C++'). '.NET' is
not a language at all, but a Microsoft technology. The latest
Microsoft C++ compiler is much more standard-compliant than
previous offers, but it still contains 'extensions' for doing
nonstandard things (e.g. interfacing with .NET platform).
The language standard does allow implementations to include
such extensions, but does not define or constrain them. They're
not part of the standard language or standard library.

> This may of course be the wrong newsgroup...

It is. For future reference, here are the 'official' description
and guidelines for comp.lang.c++:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt

>If so, can anyone point me in
> the right direction?

Try a newsgroup whose name begins with:
microsoft.public.vc. (if your news server does not offer these
groups, they're available from MS's server msnews.microsoft.com),

and/or look at the newsgroups listed at www.msdn.microsoft.com

-Mike

Morten Aune Lyrstad

Seems like a library format difference or something. I only needed to
recompile some old libs, and it worked fine.

Just shoot me...

Victor Bazarov

Morten Aune Lyrstad wrote:
> Seems like a library format difference or something. I only needed to
> recompile some old libs, and it worked fine.
>
> Just shoot me...

Bang! Bang!! BANG!!!

Pete Becker

Morten Aune Lyrstad wrote:

> I just received my copy of vc++.net. When I try to compile an "old" vc60
> application I suddenly get
>
> unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl std::_Xran(void)"
> (?_Xran@std@@YAXXZ) referenced in function "public: class
> std::basic_string<char,struct std::char_traits<char>,class
> std::allocator<char> > & __thiscall std::basic_string<char,

This usually means that you've using the VC6 headers with the VC7 (i.e.
..net) library. If you've got precompiled headers lying around, get rid
of 'em and try it again. If that doesn't get you going, ask again on
microsoft.public.vc.stl.

--

Pete Becker

Morten Aune Lyrstad

Ah, so THAT's it! Thanks, I didn't know that!

error LNK2019 problem Nicros C++ 7 04-10-2008 08:24 AM
What is Error 1 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol ???? Trent C++ 9 06-29-2007 08:32 PM
Fw: [wxPython-users] 1>make_buildinfo.obj : error LNK2019: unresolvedexternal symbol __imp__RegQueryValueExA@24 referenced infunction _make_buildinfo2 f rom Python 2 12-05-2006 04:24 PM
error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol - cl compiler NewsGroup C++ 3 10-27-2006 05:50 PM
Porting VC6 to VC7.1, get error LNK2019 sheep C++ 3 08-04-2004 03:04 AM

Advertisments