Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Pass Score

Pass Score

David Parkes

Hi Everybody,

Just a quick question really. Im studyin towards my MCP in windows server
2003 exam 72-290. The question is as follows on the actual exam what is the
pass mark required. On the test cd its like 87% which is a maximum of 5
questions wrong out of 45 which bites.

Also any tips on how to study for these exams. I do have the official
Microsoft book

Thanks

Adam Machanic

The only way to study is to break out the software and start working with
it. Install Windows Server 2003 on a box and start hacking around.
Otherwise, even if you do pass, it will be empty -- you won't really know
the software.

--
Adam Machanic
SQL Server MVP

"David Parkes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Everybody,
>
> Just a quick question really. Im studyin towards my MCP in windows server
> 2003 exam 72-290. The question is as follows on the actual exam what is

the
> pass mark required. On the test cd its like 87% which is a maximum of 5
> questions wrong out of 45 which bites.
>
> Also any tips on how to study for these exams. I do have the official
> Microsoft book
>
> Thanks

T-Bone

"David Parkes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Just a quick question really. Im studyin towards my MCP in windows server
> 2003 exam 72-290. The question is as follows on the actual exam what is

the
> pass mark required. On the test cd its like 87% which is a maximum of 5
> questions wrong out of 45 which bites.

The pass mark is 700. Before you ask, no it can't be expressed as a
percentage. Check the microsoft web site to find out why.

T-Bone
MCNGP XL

FYI-Geek101

I also recommend the following microsoft press books for
training.
Microsoft Press Books About Microsoft Products and
Technologies at
NOTE: These press books can be acquired cheaper at
http://www.ebay.com.

An excellent compliment to your training is to
use the free Microsoft Skills Assessments at
http://www.microsoft.com/learning/as...nt/default.asp
and its always free.

VERY IMPORTANT:
Industry use these assessments to measure your skill sets,
so completing them successfully is in your best interest.

If you need help, you can also get free detailed Q&A
support for skills assessments at
http://disnetinc.com/

Also:
To support training get "101 Visual Basic and C# Code
Samples" at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vbasic/dow...amples/default.
aspx

FYI-Geek101

b@d

> Just a quick question really. Im studyin towards my MCP in windows server
> 2003 exam 72-290. The question is as follows on the actual exam what is
> the pass mark required. On the test cd its like 87% which is a maximum of
> 5 questions wrong out of 45 which bites.

I did the 72-290 exam today
There were 40 questions and 700 was the passing score.
(so you can have 12 questions wrong aprox)

my score was 850

T-Bone

"b@d" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> I did the 72-290 exam today
> There were 40 questions and 700 was the passing score.
> (so you can have 12 questions wrong aprox)

Congrats on the pass, but the number of questions on the exam can vary. So
there is no way to say how many right answers are required to pass.

T-Bone
MCNGP XL

JM

T-Bone wrote:
> "David Parkes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> Just a quick question really. Im studyin towards my MCP in windows
>> server 2003 exam 72-290. The question is as follows on the actual
>> exam what is the pass mark required. On the test cd its like 87%
>> which is a maximum of 5 questions wrong out of 45 which bites.

> The pass mark is 700. Before you ask, no it can't be expressed as a
> percentage. Check the microsoft web site to find out why.

I couldn't see anything on MS's website about this - do you have any more
info?

T-Bone

"JM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> I couldn't see anything on MS's website about this - do you have any more
> info?

In the philosophy of teaching a man to fish rather than giving him a fish,
here is how to find your answer:

Go to the Microsoft web site and type "exam pass score" without the quote in
the search box. You'll find your answer in the second link.

However since I feel you'll probably be back again:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...procedures.asp

T-Bone
MCNGP XL

JM

T-Bone wrote:
> "JM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> I couldn't see anything on MS's website about this - do you have any
>> more info?

> In the philosophy of teaching a man to fish rather than giving him a
> fish, here is how to find your answer:
>
> Go to the Microsoft web site and type "exam pass score" without the
> quote in the search box. You'll find your answer in the second link.
>
> However since I feel you'll probably be back again:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mc...procedures.asp

Should have explained myself better. I knew about the '700 points' (having
taken and passed 70-229 recently) but that page doesn't say why it can't be
expressed as a percentage (taking into account the maximum score of course).

So 700/1000 should still be considered 70%, and 900/1200 as 75%. If not
then why not?

John.

T-Bone

"JM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> Should have explained myself better. I knew about the '700 points'

(having
> taken and passed 70-229 recently) but that page doesn't say why it can't

be
> expressed as a percentage (taking into account the maximum score of

course).

As it explains on that page, the number of questions on the exam varies
based on the complexity of the questions it selects for you. So the total
number of points on the exam is variable.

T-Bone
MCNGP XL

what score to pass 70-290 =?Utf-8?B?Rm9vbGtl?= Microsoft Certification 5 06-23-2008 07:38 PM
Pass/Fail vs. Actual Score Ian the Morris Microsoft Certification 0 04-08-2008 11:36 PM
70-306 required score to pass? Al Green MCSD 2 07-19-2005 08:36 AM
220 pass score Paul MCSE 2 02-20-2004 10:30 PM
Approximately needed score (I know MS hides the score...) for passing 70-305??? Daniel Walzenbach MCSD 2 11-09-2003 10:04 PM

Advertisments