Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Assessments vs Certification

Assessments vs Certification

What Up Doc

What's going on here? Why are companies now asking
certified professionals to take assessments? Isn't this
kind of like "Cart before the horse!". I'm not impressed.
Does anyone else know anything about this trend?

Adam Machanic

"What Up Doc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:020801c52f2b$73d53920$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's going on here? Why are companies now asking
> certified professionals to take assessments? Isn't this
> kind of like "Cart before the horse!". I'm not impressed.
> Does anyone else know anything about this trend?

I can't blame them -- lots of people have either fake certs and/or cheated
on the exams. Haven't you ever interviewed someone who had a bunch of certs
on the resume and couldn't back any of them up in the interview when asked
some slightly more difficult questions?

--
Adam Machanic
SQL Server MVP

P O ed

P O ed

Assessments VS Certifications - BS

I totally disagree with the statement "Assessments are
harder to pass than Certifications".
This is to general and easy a comment to make.

There are 40 or 50 different assessments.
Obviously depending on their complexity, some assessments
can be quite difficult to pass.

There are far more Certifications than there are
Assessments, so you really can't compare them.
I also think its wrong for companies to use Assessments to
validate Certifications.
We're talking "Apples and Oranges".

However I do believe some questions are designed to
promote failing answers.
These questions are multiple choices, two and or three
dimensional which require a guru to answer correctly.
Also, your ultimate success or failure depending on how
many of these types of questions are contained in your
randomly generated questions.

FYI:
If you find the following text samples in any question
then I believe the odds are you will fail this type of
question, due to the incredible volume of possible wrong
answers and only one possible right answer.

TEXT SAMPLE A:
(Select four.) out of a possible 6 to 12 choices.

TEXT SAMPLE B:
(Choose all that apply.) out of a possible 6 to 12 choices.

TEXT SAMPLE c:
Place your selections in the list on the left by clicking
the items in the list on the right and clicking the arrow.
You may not need to use all of the items from the list on
the right.

TEXT SAMPLE D:
Place your selections in the list on the left by clicking
the items in the list on the right and clicking the arrow.
You can also use the up and down buttons to rearrange
items in the list on the left.
You may not need to use all of the items from the list on
the right.

TEXT SAMPLE E:
Place your selections in the list on the left under the
appropriate element by clicking the element,
clicking the item from the list on the right, and then
clicking the arrow.
You may use items from the list on the right more than
once, and you do not have to use each item from the list.

Anyway, just my opinion.

P O ed