Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Refutation of the DisProof of the Halting Problem

Refutation of the DisProof of the Halting Problem

Jim Burns

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

[...]
> An interesting suggestion, though I'm not sure "Here" makes as
> much sense as "Sit". I was merely constructing a machine
> which was the Turing Machine equivalent of a no-op.

There is a discussion of obscurity of math expressions currently
in sci.math. Keeping that in mind, I would like to offer these:
instead of ( Right, Left, Sit ) , how about ( Gee, Haw, Whoa )?

Actually, decrement, increment, and no-operation (Dec, Inc, Nop)
seem like it's almost as good a choice. (There may be a problem
with it not being obscure enough.)

Jim Burns

The Ghost In The Machine

In sci.logic, Jim Burns
<(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote
on Sun, 01 Aug 2004 21:45:30 -0400
<(E-Mail Removed)>:

> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>>

> [...]
>>
>> An interesting suggestion, though I'm not sure "Here" makes as
>> much sense as "Sit". I was merely constructing a machine
>> which was the Turing Machine equivalent of a no-op.

> There is a discussion of obscurity of math expressions currently
> in sci.math. Keeping that in mind, I would like to offer these:
> instead of ( Right, Left, Sit ) , how about ( Gee, Haw, Whoa )?
>
> Actually, decrement, increment, and no-operation (Dec, Inc, Nop)
> seem like it's almost as good a choice. (There may be a problem
> with it not being obscure enough.)
>
> Jim Burns

DEC = Digital Equipment Corporation
INC = Incorporated
NOP = Not Our Problem.

Unfortunately for you, I've read _White Fang_, so am at least
somewhat aware of Gee, Haw, MUSH. (Woah is a logical
extension, and anyone who's read cowboy novels -- or for that
matter seen Sylvester Sam trying to stop a camel or "stupid
dragon" -- knows the meaning thereof.)

But if one wants obscure, try -1, 0, +1. Then again, that's
probably way too clear to mathematicians...

#191, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
It's still legal to go .sigless.