Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > C++ formatter/beautifier?

C++ formatter/beautifier?

OvErboRed

Hi, I'm wondering if anybody can point me to a good, free C++
formatter/beautifier. I'm looking for something that offers the level of
control that the Unix/Linux 'indent' program provides, but for C++ (indent
has some quirks when applied to C++). I have spent a while Googling for
something along these lines, but haven't come up with anything, only
various very basic formatting programs like Artistic Style. It would be
best if someone could point me to an open-source program, but I'm willing
to work with something that's free (as in beer). Thanks in advance.

Phlip

http://astyle.sourceforge.net

--
Phlip

Cedric LEMAIRE

Try 'CodeWorker' at http://www.codeworker.org.

This is a parsing tool and a universal source code generator that
interprets a scripting language. The language provides the function
'indentFile()'.

If you just have a file to indent, write a single-line script, called
"indent.cws" for instance:
indentFile("my-C++-file.cpp");

and type:
codeworker indent.cws

If you have more files to indent, change "indent.cws" to:
forfile i in "*.cpp" indentFile(i);
forfile i in "*.h" indentFile(i);

Regards,

Cedric Lemaire

roman ziak

"OvErboRed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm wondering if anybody can point me to a good, free C++
> formatter/beautifier. I'm looking for something that offers the level of

http://dickey.his.com/bcpp/bcpp.html

OvErboRed

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned in my post, AS is too basic for my
needs.

"Phlip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newsnHMc.3108$(E-Mail Removed) m:

> http://astyle.sourceforge.net

OvErboRed

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, BCPP is too basic for my needs.

"roman ziak" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ZQOMc.1110$i_2.51482
@news20.bellglobal.com:

> http://dickey.his.com/bcpp/bcpp.html

Phlip

[Top-post fixed. Please take pride in your posts.]

OvErboRed wrote:

> Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned in my post, AS is too basic for my
> needs.

What the hell kind of needs could AS be "too basic" for? Do you intent to
turn innocent functions into ASCII Art of recumbent bicycles?

Use the source, Luke!

--
Phlip

Peter van Merkerk

OvErboRed wrote:
> Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, BCPP is too basic for my needs.

Perhaps you should explain why the suggested programs are to basic for
your needs. In other word what do you need that those programs don't
provide?

--
Peter van Merkerk
peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl

Thomas Dickey

Phlip <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What the hell kind of needs could AS be "too basic" for? Do you intent to
> turn innocent functions into ASCII Art of recumbent bicycles?

a while back I wrote editor macros to transform comment-boxes to/from the
single-marker form:

/*******/
/* xxx */
/*******/

/*
xxx
*/

One of the developers in my project group found it unsuitable because he
wanted curved edges on the boxes.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

Ira Baxter

"OvErboRed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi, I'm wondering if anybody can point me to a good, free C++
> formatter/beautifier. I'm looking for something that offers the level of
> control that the Unix/Linux 'indent' program provides, but for C++ (indent
> has some quirks when applied to C++). I have spent a while Googling for
> something along these lines, but haven't come up with anything, only
> various very basic formatting programs like Artistic Style. It would be
> best if someone could point me to an open-source program, but I'm willing
> to work with something that's free (as in beer). Thanks in advance.

Not free, but specific to C++ and doesn't have Indent quirks.
See http://www.semdesigns.com/Products/F...Formatter.html

--
Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D., CTO 512-250-1018
Semantic Designs, Inc. www.semdesigns.com