Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > two visual c++ questions

two visual c++ questions

Sean M. Tucker

Hi,

Sorry to post here, but I didn't see anything more appropriate. Anyone know
how to format text with Visual C++? I used to use Emacs, and now I hate it
that I can't auto-format.

Also, is there a way to get line numbers in the left margin? Again, Emacs
did this. Vi did it too. (Just want my poor, poor Solaris box back

-0x53 0x20 0x65 0x20 0x61 0x20 0x6E

Dave Townsend

Go to the tool->options and in the tabs and editor sections you
can control the formating.

I don't think you can get line numbers to show up on the window, but
why do you need them ? You only have to point at the error in the
output window to go to the error in the source code, breakpoints are
set graphically. If you want to know the current line number its displayed
in the
little box on the right hand bottom corner.

dave

"Sean M. Tucker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yBjMc.2732$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Hi,
>
> Sorry to post here, but I didn't see anything more appropriate. Anyone

know
> how to format text with Visual C++? I used to use Emacs, and now I hate

it
> that I can't auto-format.
>
> Also, is there a way to get line numbers in the left margin? Again, Emacs
> did this. Vi did it too. (Just want my poor, poor Solaris box back
>
> -0x53 0x20 0x65 0x20 0x61 0x20 0x6E

John Carson

"Sean M. Tucker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yBjMc.2732$(E-Mail Removed)
> Hi,
>
> Sorry to post here, but I didn't see anything more appropriate.

You didn't look very hard. The obvious place to go is

microsoft.public.vc.ide_general

Failing that, you might try

microsoft.public.vc.language

which serves as a general clearing house for VC++ questions.

> Anyone know how to format text with Visual C++? I used to use Emacs,
> and now I hate it that I can't auto-format.
>
> Also, is there a way to get line numbers in the left margin? Again,
> Emacs did this. Vi did it too. (Just want my poor, poor Solaris box
> back

You need to specify what version of VC++ you are using. With 7.1, for
example, you can get line numbers with

Tools->Options->Text Editor->C/C++

and then clicking the line numbers check box.

--
John Carson