Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > OpenGL in C++ displayed on a web browser??

OpenGL in C++ displayed on a web browser??

oracle411

Hi I'm new to OpenGL, but have an OpenGL application written in CPP
that I would like to display on a web browser.

Was wondering how this could be done?

Thank you very much

Victor Bazarov

oracle411 wrote:
> Hi I'm new to OpenGL, but have an OpenGL application written in CPP
> that I would like to display on a web browser.
>
> Was wondering how this could be done?

[Reading this post (and replying) in comp.lang.c++]

This is no possible. There is no such thing as "web browser"
defined in C++ language. Please consider posting to a newsgroup
for your OS.

Victor

WTH

"oracle411" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi I'm new to OpenGL, but have an OpenGL application written in CPP
> that I would like to display on a web browser.
>
> Was wondering how this could be done?
>
> Thank you very much

Well, if you're talking about MSIE, you right an ActiveX control which is
actually very simple. If you're talking about cross platform/browser
support it gets a little bit hairy.

WTH

fungus

WTH wrote:

> Well, if you're talking about MSIE, you right

Maybe you mean "write", or perhaps "wright"...

> an ActiveX control which is actually very
> simple. If you're talking about cross platform/browser
> support it gets a little bit hairy.

The only problem is persuading people with any
brains to turn ActiveX support back on again
just to see your OpenGL program.

Does this thing have to be interactive? If not
you can maybe render the image on the server
end then send them a PNG of the result.

Another option is to use shockwave - they do
cross platform 3D stuff in a browser.

Anyway, this is neither a C++ question nor an
OpenGL API question. You really need to decide
what exactly you mean by "web browser", who is
your target audience, what computers they are
likely to be using, then ask again in a newsgroup
related to that...

Prepare yourself for some "hairy" answers.

--
<\___/>
/ O O \

Governments, like diapers, should be changed often,
and for the same reason.

WTH

> Well, if you're talking about MSIE, you right

Maybe you even WRITE an ActiveX control, LOL.

WTH

yooyo

"oracle411" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi I'm new to OpenGL, but have an OpenGL application written in CPP
> that I would like to display on a web browser.
>
> Was wondering how this could be done?
>
> Thank you very much

It is possible, but depends on browser and OS.
For MSIE you have to use ActiveX.

Maybe there is a another solution... do google for
php opengl bindings... If this project can help you...

yooyo

WTH

> The only problem is persuading people with any
> brains to turn ActiveX support back on again
> just to see your OpenGL program.

Actually, you'd be retarded to turn it completely off as you can just have
it prompt you for installs (and only for signed installs if you wish.)

> Anyway, this is neither a C++ question nor an
> OpenGL API question.

Oh, wait, this is an "OpenGL API" only ng... Lol. Fungus, cut the guy a
break. He wants to know if any OpenGL people have mixed it with a browser.
Yes he needs to proffer some more information.

WTH

Yau Goh Chow

You could if you wanted to, have your OpenGL application sitting on a
Web-server. Everytime someone requests the page that you want ur OpenGL
program to be displayed on, you can use a PHP, Perl, JSP or ASP script to
invoke ur C++ program to render the OpenGL screen, do an image screen dump
then use the image libriaries for what ever scripting language you are using
to display the image on to the web-page. Offcourse the only problem with
this is that it won't be very interactive, and the over heads on our
webserver would be horrible.

Your probably better of learning Java and JOGL, then prot your OpenGL
application to Java. Then you can use a Java applet on your web-page.

Both solutions, you would find will work on any client platform.

"oracle411" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi I'm new to OpenGL, but have an OpenGL application written in CPP
> that I would like to display on a web browser.
>
> Was wondering how this could be done?
>
> Thank you very much

Gunix

Going a bit off-topic now... Ken Perlin presents some Java-based 3D on his
site. Not GL tough. But it might be interesting.
See: http://mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/

Gunix

"oracle411" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi I'm new to OpenGL, but have an OpenGL application written in CPP
> that I would like to display on a web browser.
>
> Was wondering how this could be done?
>
> Thank you very much

corkqq

I am new to openGL, who can tell how I can start with a first openGL
application by starting with C++ builder?
Where can I downlaod C++ builder?

GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem Microsoft Certification 5 03-07-2009 09:31 AM
Japanese Text not displayed on Image Generated by Servlet on winXP, Linux but displayed on Win2000 boney Java 1 12-15-2006 02:24 PM
Java Bindings for OpenGL Gene Davis Java 0 06-26-2004 03:00 PM
openGL and 1.5 nos Java 3 03-05-2004 06:32 PM
OpenGL from JNI on MacOSX Andy Skinner Java 0 01-08-2004 04:08 PM

Advertisments