Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Difference between 1998 and 2003 C++ standard

Difference between 1998 and 2003 C++ standard

foo

I've been looking on the web to see if I could find a link that would
describe the difference between the 14882:1998 and the 14882:2003 C++
standard.
I found the following link:
http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/author.../revisions.pdf

But the above document is over 300 pages long, and it's not practical
for actually trying to determine what difference has been made that
would actually effect the langauge.

Does anyone have a list changes that actually impacts the language?

Dietmar Kuehl

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (foo) wrote:
> I've been looking on the web to see if I could find a link that would
> describe the difference between the 14882:1998 and the 14882:2003 C++
> standard.
> I found the following link:
> http://www.acceleratedcpp.com/author.../revisions.pdf

This document is the actual list of changes.

> But the above document is over 300 pages long, and it's not practical
> for actually trying to determine what difference has been made that
> would actually effect the langauge.

Each of the changes in this 300 pages long document has an actual effect
on the language: Andy didn't do all those changes just to provide a better
reading experience. Some "just" change the text from being meaningless
(e.g. due to a wrong section reference) to become meaningful but in most
cases something became consistent, defined, etc. Note, however, that
14882:2003 is not a new standard but the old standard augmented with
corrections: none of the changes should change any behavior which was
defined and consistent before. It should just define things which were
left undefined, change things which were unimplementable or for which
contradictionary requirements were imposed by different clauses in the
standard.

> Does anyone have a list changes that actually impacts the language?

You might want to look at the issues marked "TC" (for technical
corrigendum) in the core and library issue lists (follow the corersponding
links from <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/>). However, I would
guess that the corresponding excerpts of these two documents exceed the
300 pages of the other document as it is supposed to include the changes
plus the details of the problem fixed etc. On the other hand, you would get
a rationale for at least most changes made.
--
<(E-Mail Removed)> <http://www.dietmar-kuehl.de/>

beliavsky@aol.com

<SNIP>

> Note, however, that
> 14882:2003 is not a new standard but the old standard augmented with
> corrections: none of the changes should change any behavior which was
> defined and consistent before.

<SNIP>

When is the next new standard of C++ scheduled to be finished? Is
there any site describing what will be added or removed?

(Offtopic: the Fortran 2003 standard will be ratified soon. Fortran
2003 supports OOP (classes with inheritance) and interoperability with
C.)

Dietmar Kuehl

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> When is the next new standard of C++ scheduled to be finished?

The working title is C++0x, implying that it should become available in
the next five years. If we continue the current amount of progress, I
would expect that the 0 needs to be replace by a different digit...

> Is there any site describing what will be added or removed?

This year we are planning to finish a technical report on library
extensions (which will then become official roughly a year later),
i.e. things we expect to see in the next revision of the standard.
However, there will be neither a guarantee that this stuff indeed
goes into next revision nor will the next revision be extended only
by this stuff. In fact, we expect to include a lot more components.

Other than this, you might want to have a look at the papers at
<http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/>: this is basis the committee
works on. It includes proposals which are evaluated by the evolution
group. However, not everything being proposed goes in and most stuff
is modified in some form or the other.
--
<(E-Mail Removed)> <http://www.dietmar-kuehl.de/>

tom_usenet

On 7 Jul 2004 10:14:32 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

><SNIP>
>
>> Note, however, that
>> 14882:2003 is not a new standard but the old standard augmented with
>> corrections: none of the changes should change any behavior which was
>> defined and consistent before.

><SNIP>
>
>When is the next new standard of C++ scheduled to be finished? Is
>there any site describing what will be added or removed?
>
>(Offtopic: the Fortran 2003 standard will be ratified soon. Fortran
>2003 supports OOP (classes with inheritance) and interoperability with
>C.)

The general site is http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/. The next
standard is due this decade, probably between 2007 to 2009. It's
"codenamed" C++0x.

Tom
--
C++ FAQ: http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/

Ioannis Vranos

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> When is the next new standard of C++ scheduled to be finished? Is
> there any site describing what will be added or removed?

It will take some time. As far as I know there will be standard library
additions mainly, and perhaps some C99 cra, I mean features, will make
their way to the standard too.