Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > New Programmer...

New Programmer...

Tmt353

Does anyone here know a good website for someone that wants to start
programming?

Matt Wharton

"Tmt353" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone here know a good website for someone that wants to start
> programming?

http://www.google.com

Havatcha

Tmt353 wrote:

> Does anyone here know a good website for someone that wants to start
> programming?

I would recommend a trip to your local library, where you should be able
to 'download' a book from one of the shelves that will give you the
basics. Trying to start via a website would be doomed to failure because:

a) Looking at a computer screen numbs the mind, and,

b) You will spend many frustrating hours trying to find a webpage
general enough for your needs.

Jerry Coffin

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Tmt353) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Does anyone here know a good website for someone that wants to start
> programming?

One possibility would be www.mindview.net, where you can download
_Thinking in C++_ volumes 1 and 2.

--
Later,
Jerry.

The Universe is a figment of its own imagination.

Sumit Rajan

"Havatcha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cbgski$jlt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> a) Looking at a computer screen numbs the mind, and,

That's interesting. Do you have any evidence to support this?

Regards,
Sumit.

Mike Wahler

"Havatcha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cbgski$jlt$(E-Mail Removed)...

> basics. Trying to start via a website would be doomed to failure because:
>
> a) Looking at a computer screen numbs the mind, and,

So *that's* what's wrong with me!

-Mike

puppet_sock@hotmail.com

(E-Mail Removed) (Tmt353) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Does anyone here know a good website for someone that wants to start
> programming?

Start programming from where? From no ability to program at all?
Or having programmed in another lang and you want to pick up C++?
Or some other?

If you've never done any programming at all, let me recommend that
you take some college level courses. Programming is a *HUGE* topic.
At the very least, get yourself some community college level training.
The summer semester should be starting any time now.

If you've worked in other languages, then I suggest _Accelerated C++_
by Koenig and Moo. Wonderful book.

After that, it depends on where you want to go and what area you
want to program.
Socks

Chris Theis

"Havatcha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cbgski$jlt$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Tmt353 wrote:
>
> > Does anyone here know a good website for someone that wants to start
> > programming?

> I would recommend a trip to your local library, where you should be able
> to 'download' a book from one of the shelves that will give you the
> basics. Trying to start via a website would be doomed to failure because:
>
> a) Looking at a computer screen numbs the mind, and,

Hmm...what Id be interested in is how youre going to develop software if
youre not going to look at a screen?

Cheers
Chris

Vladimir Shishkovsky

Hi!

Yes I know. It is www.codeguru.com or org or net, www.codeproject.com

Bye...
"Tmt353" <(E-Mail Removed)> / :
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone here know a good website for someone that wants to start
> programming?

Mike Wahler

"Chris Theis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cbi1lo$e1b$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Havatcha" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cbgski$jlt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >

> > Tmt353 wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone here know a good website for someone that wants to start
> > > programming?

> > I would recommend a trip to your local library, where you should be able
> > to 'download' a book from one of the shelves that will give you the
> > basics. Trying to start via a website would be doomed to failure

because:

> > a) Looking at a computer screen numbs the mind, and,
> >

> Hmm...what Id be interested in is how youre going to develop software if
> youre not going to look at a screen?

Actually, I've written quite a bit of software without looking at
a screen. Mostly COBOL and FORTRAN. A long time ago. Those machines
didn't *have* screens (or keyboards). I wrote my code with a pencil.

-Mike