Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Handling large files > 4 GB

Reply
Thread Tools

Handling large files > 4 GB

 
 
Michael
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-22-2004
X-Replace-Address

Hello,

I am trying to write a program at work for reading/writing files
larger than 4 GB. I know that Windows supports files that big but I
have not been able to get my program to write past the 4 gig boundary.


Some solutions that I have tried:
* standard library: fstream/write
* MS's CreateFile()/WriteFile()
* fopen/fwrite


I found a page http://www.ece.utexas.edu/~luo/linux_lfs.html that
describes large file support for Linux. Is there an equivalent under
Windows?

I would prefer a portable solution, but will settle for anything that
will work on Windows 2000. BTW, I am using Borland C++ Builder 6.0
for my compiler.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Michael

mwithNNam.yahNNoo@com (NOSPAM: remove NN's and swap @ & . to e-mail
me)
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Pete C.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2004
Michael wrote:
> X-Replace-Address
>
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to write a program at work for reading/writing files
> larger than 4 GB. I know that Windows supports files that big but I
> have not been able to get my program to write past the 4 gig boundary.
>

<snip>

Standard C++ (the topic of this group) does not define any file size limits,
so you need to ask in a group for your platform. In your case,
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32.

- Pete


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Michael
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2004
"Pete C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<q75Cc.14673$(E-Mail Removed) link.net>...
>
> Standard C++ (the topic of this group) does not define any file size limits,
> so you need to ask in a group for your platform. In your case,
> comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32.
>
> - Pete


Thank you for your reply. So that means that streampos's size (the
type used by tellg() and seekg()) is defined by the implementation,
not the Standard?

Sorry for being off topic,
Michael
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete C.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-23-2004
Michael wrote:
> "Pete C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:<q75Cc.14673$(E-Mail Removed) link.net>...
>>
>> Standard C++ (the topic of this group) does not define any file size
>> limits, so you need to ask in a group for your platform. In your
>> case, comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32.
>>
>> - Pete

>
> Thank you for your reply. So that means that streampos's size (the
> type used by tellg() and seekg()) is defined by the implementation,
> not the Standard?
>
> Sorry for being off topic,
> Michael


Yes, it's implementation defined. Note that questions about whether some is
or not /is/ on-topic.

- Pete


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: Handling extremely large input files Robert Kochem Java 1 04-29-2010 02:00 AM
XP x64 - starved for RAM when handling large files? Homer J. Simpson Windows 64bit 2 03-07-2008 02:21 PM
Handling large files in encryption prog BrianJones C++ 2 07-23-2004 11:45 AM
Large files handling boomer XML 1 11-10-2003 02:00 AM
Backing Up Large Files..Or A Large Amount Of Files Scott D. Weber For Unuathorized Thoughts Inc. Computer Support 1 09-19-2003 07:28 PM



Advertisments