Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Purchasing The Standard

Purchasing The Standard

DaKoadMunky

After having fancied myself a C++ programmer for the last nine years I figured
it was about time that I actually obtain a copy of the standard rather than
relying on other sources that claim to accurately represent the standard. Even
the best intentioned author or newsgroup poster is capable of inaccurately
representing the standard.

I followed the FAQ link to http://www.techstreet.com/ and searched for 14882 as
suggested.

That brought up the following page...

http://www.techstreet.com/cgi-bin/ne...82&searchType=
docno&newSearch=1&sort=rel&submit.x=15&submit.y=16

Aside from the format in which they are distributed, can anyone tell me the
difference between the various items presented? I am confused about which one
would be the most accurate source of information.

What is the difference between ISO/IEC 14882:2003 and INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882:2003
?

The former can only be purchased as a softcover book for $325. The latter can
be purchased as a PDF document for $18. My broke and unemployed self likes the
latter much better, but I want to be aware of what I won't be getting if I
order it.

Furthermore, how long will it be until the current standard is superceded? If
it is only six-months to a year maybe I should wait. And what about all the
TC's and TR's. Are those freely available or must they also be purchased?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Regards,
Brian F. Seaberg

P.S. I am also thinking about getting TCPPLSE. If I could only buy either the
standard document or the Stroustrup book, which would most recommended? On the
one hand the standard is probably pretty dry reading, but it is authoritative
and I want to know the whole truth. On the other hand the Stroustrup book
probably discusses not only the elements of the language but the best practices
associated with those language elements which may be more appropriate for
someone who isn't going to be writing compilers and tools. I want to know the
language very well, but I can't say I want to be a language lawyer. I would
rather know how to effectively use a subset of the language rather than know
the language inside and out but not know how to apply it effectively.

Ioannis Vranos

DaKoadMunky wrote:

> After having fancied myself a C++ programmer for the last nine years I figured
> it was about time that I actually obtain a copy of the standard rather than
> relying on other sources that claim to accurately represent the standard. Even
> the best intentioned author or newsgroup poster is capable of inaccurately
> representing the standard.
>
> I followed the FAQ link to http://www.techstreet.com/ and searched for 14882 as
> suggested.
>
> That brought up the following page...
>
> http://www.techstreet.com/cgi-bin/ne...82&searchType=
> docno&newSearch=1&sort=rel&submit.x=15&submit.y=16
>
> Aside from the format in which they are distributed, can anyone tell me the
> difference between the various items presented? I am confused about which one
> would be the most accurate source of information.
>
> What is the difference between ISO/IEC 14882:2003 and INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882:2003
> ?
>
> The former can only be purchased as a softcover book for $325. The latter can
> be purchased as a PDF document for $18. My broke and unemployed self likes the
> latter much better, but I want to be aware of what I won't be getting if I
> order it.

They are the same.

> Furthermore, how long will it be until the current standard is superceded? If
> it is only six-months to a year maybe I should wait.

Years.

> And what about all the
> TC's and TR's. Are those freely available or must they also be purchased?

The 14882:2003 is the latest official ISO C++ standard (which contains
fixes of 14882:1998, so it is the 14882:1998 bug-fixed ).

> P.S. I am also thinking about getting TCPPLSE. If I could only buy either the
> standard document or the Stroustrup book, which would most recommended?

The *book* of course. The standard is intended for the compiler
implementers and if you decide to pursue a career as a language lawyer
in here.

> On the
> one hand the standard is probably pretty dry reading, but it is authoritative
> and I want to know the whole truth. On the other hand the Stroustrup book
> probably discusses not only the elements of the language but the best practices
> associated with those language elements which may be more appropriate for
> someone who isn't going to be writing compilers and tools. I want to know the
> language very well, but I can't say I want to be a language lawyer. I would
> rather know how to effectively use a subset of the language rather than know
> the language inside and out but not know how to apply it effectively.

The book no question. The book will make you not only a better C++
programmer but a better programmer too. It provides much insight.

Regards,

Ioannis Vranos

Andrew Koenig

"DaKoadMunky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> What is the difference between ISO/IEC 14882:2003 and INCITS/ISO/IEC

14882:2003
> ?
>
> The former can only be purchased as a softcover book for $325. The latter

can
> be purchased as a PDF document for $18. My broke and unemployed self

likes the
> latter much better, but I want to be aware of what I won't be getting if I
> order it.

You can buy the same text, albeit with a different page layout, as a Wiley
book for between $55 and $65, depending on where you look. The book is
called "The C++ Standard", and its ISBN is 0-470-84674-7.

JKop

DaKoadMunky posted:

> After having fancied myself a C++ programmer for the last nine years I
> figured it was about time that I actually obtain a copy of the standard
> rather than relying on other sources that claim to accurately represent
> the standard. Even the best intentioned author or newsgroup poster is
> capable of inaccurately representing the standard.
>
> I followed the FAQ link to http://www.techstreet.com/ and searched for
> 14882 as suggested.
>
> That brought up the following page...
>
> http://www.techstreet.com/cgi-bin/ne...4882&searchTyp
> e= docno&newSearch=1&sort=rel&submit.x=15&submit.y=16
>
> Aside from the format in which they are distributed, can anyone tell me
> the difference between the various items presented? I am confused
> about which one would be the most accurate source of information.
>
> What is the difference between ISO/IEC 14882:2003 and INCITS/ISO/IEC
> 14882:2003 ?
>
> The former can only be purchased as a softcover book for $325. The
> latter can be purchased as a PDF document for $18. My broke and
> unemployed self likes the latter much better, but I want to be aware of
> what I won't be getting if I order it.
>
> Furthermore, how long will it be until the current standard is
> superceded? If it is only six-months to a year maybe I should wait.
> And what about all the TC's and TR's. Are those freely available or
> must they also be purchased?
>
> Any insight would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Brian F. Seaberg
>
> P.S. I am also thinking about getting TCPPLSE. If I could only buy
> either the standard document or the Stroustrup book, which would most
> recommended? On the one hand the standard is probably pretty dry
> reading, but it is authoritative and I want to know the whole truth.
> On the other hand the Stroustrup book probably discusses not only the
> elements of the language but the best practices associated with those
> language elements which may be more appropriate for someone who isn't
> going to be writing compilers and tools. I want to know the language
> very well, but I can't say I want to be a language lawyer. I would
> rather know how to effectively use a subset of the language rather than
> know the language inside and out but not know how to apply it
> effectively.

I have the Standard from 1998. If you want it I'll email it to you. Just
remember to muddle your email address a little, eg.

Anyone here got the latest Standard and would offer to email it to me?
Sharing is caring.

-JKop

dumboo

hi i would be really gratefull if u can email me the standard aswell,

vasudev + sharma + 1 + at + hot + mail + .com

Pete C.

JKop wrote:
<snip>

> I have the Standard from 1998. If you want it I'll email it to you.
> Just remember to muddle your email address a little, eg.
>
> (E-Mail Removed)
>

> Anyone here got the latest Standard and would offer to email it to me?
> Sharing is caring.

Absolutly not. Aside from the fact that that would be a blatent copyright
violation, the PDFs are watermarked with your purchase info to prevent such
abhorrant things.

- Pete

> -JKop

Julie

"Pete C." wrote:

> JKop wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > I have the Standard from 1998. If you want it I'll email it to you.
> > Just remember to muddle your email address a little, eg.
> >
> > (E-Mail Removed)
> >

> > Anyone here got the latest Standard and would offer to email it to me?
> > Sharing is caring.

> Absolutly not. Aside from the fact that that would be a blatent copyright
> violation, the PDFs are watermarked with your purchase info to prevent such
> abhorrant things.
>
> - Pete
>

> > -JKop

Is the PDF protected against printing and/or text-select-copy?

karen

"JKop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:31_Bc.2886$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pete C. posted:
>
> > JKop wrote:
> ><snip>
> >>
> >> I have the Standard from 1998. If you want it I'll email it to you.
> >> Just remember to muddle your email address a little, eg.
> >>
> >> (E-Mail Removed)
> >>

> >> Anyone here got the latest Standard and would offer to email it to me?
> >> Sharing is caring.

> > Absolutly not. Aside from the fact that that would be a blatent
> > copyright violation, the PDFs are watermarked with your purchase info
> > to prevent such abhorrant things.
> >
> > - Pete
> >

> >> -JKop

> In my day, when you bought something, it was yours. You could set it on
> fire, throw it off a cliff, give it to a friend, or eat it.
>
> -JKop

And, if you treat it like a book, you can only lend it to one person at a
time, and you can't use it while it is lent out. You were going to follow
that at least, right? Copying the book and handing copies out to all your
friends was always illegal, even if you did buy it.

-karen

JKop

Pete C. posted:

> JKop wrote:
><snip>
>>
>> I have the Standard from 1998. If you want it I'll email it to you.
>> Just remember to muddle your email address a little, eg.
>>
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>

>> Anyone here got the latest Standard and would offer to email it to me?
>> Sharing is caring.

> Absolutly not. Aside from the fact that that would be a blatent
> copyright violation, the PDFs are watermarked with your purchase info
> to prevent such abhorrant things.
>
> - Pete
>

>> -JKop

In my day, when you bought something, it was yours. You could set it on
fire, throw it off a cliff, give it to a friend, or eat it.

-JKop

JKop

dumboo posted:

> hi i would be really gratefull if u can email me the standard aswell,
>
> vasudev + sharma + 1 + at + hot + mail + .com

The 1998 version?

-JKop

Purchasing Windows Server 2003 James Microsoft Certification 2 08-23-2004 04:06 PM
Purchasing IOS license Steve Wolfe Cisco 7 12-12-2003 04:33 PM
Discount Code: good for purchasing CISSP CBT Gyanez MCSE 1 11-10-2003 08:57 AM
Purchasing VS.NET on eBay John MCSD 2 09-24-2003 02:33 AM
Purchasing IP+ option Aaron Dhiman Cisco 0 07-14-2003 07:34 PM

Advertisments