Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Purchasing The Standard

Purchasing The Standard

JKop

karen posted:

> And, if you treat it like a book, you can only lend it to one person at
> a time, and you can't use it while it is lent out. You were going to
> follow that at least, right? Copying the book and handing copies out
> to all your friends was always illegal, even if you did buy it.
>
> -karen

I don't care.

-JKop

Alexander Terekhov

karen wrote:
[...]
> And, if you treat it like a book, you can only lend it to one person at a
> time, and you can't use it while it is lent out. You were going to follow
> that at least, right?

http://www.copyright.gov/reports/stu...executive.html

<quote>

The first sale doctrine is primarily a limitation on the copyright
owner's exclusive right of distribution. It does not limit the
exclusive right of reproduction. While disposition of a work
downloaded to a floppy disk would only implicate the distribution
right, the transmission of a work from one person to another over
the Internet results in a reproduction on the recipient's computer,
even if the sender subsequently deletes the original copy of the
work. This activity therefore entails an exercise of an exclusive
right that is not covered by section 109.

Proponents of expansion of the scope of section 109 to include the
transmission and deletion of a digital file argue that this
activity is essentially identical to the transfer of a physical
copy and that the similarities outweigh the differences. While it
is true that there are similarities, we find the analogy to the
physical world to be flawed and unconvincing.

</quote>

In the totally perverse view of Red Hat, Inc. ("digital first
sale" almost completely nullifies the GPL), Time Warner, Inc.,
etc., teleportation

http://www.research.ibm.com/quantuminfo/teleportation

would be illigal.

regards,
alexander.

JKop

Alexander Terekhov posted:

><quote>
>
> The first sale doctrine is primarily a limitation on the copyright
> owner's exclusive right of distribution. It does not limit the
> exclusive right of reproduction. While disposition of a work
> downloaded to a floppy disk would only implicate the distribution
> right, the transmission of a work from one person to another over
> the Internet results in a reproduction on the recipient's computer,
> even if the sender subsequently deletes the original copy of the
> work. This activity therefore entails an exercise of an exclusive
> right that is not covered by section 109.
>
> Proponents of expansion of the scope of section 109 to include the
> transmission and deletion of a digital file argue that this
> activity is essentially identical to the transfer of a physical
> copy and that the similarities outweigh the differences. While it
> is true that there are similarities, we find the analogy to the
> physical world to be flawed and unconvincing.
>
></quote>

So let's go out to international waters with a laptop, copy it onto a
floppy, and come back.

-JKop

Alexander Terekhov

JKop wrote:
[...]
> So let's go out to international waters with a laptop, copy it onto a
> floppy, and come back.

Yeah.

< quotes from dmca/sec-104-report-vol-<2|3>.pdf >

Red Hat, Inc.:

Let me just clarify that I don't think anyone today intends to
impact our licensing practices. I haven't seen anything in the
comments, nor have I heard anything today that makes me think
someone does have that intention. What we're concerned about
are unintended consequences of any amendments to Section 109.
The primary difference between digital and nondigital products
with respect to Section 109 is that the former are frequently
licensed. ... product is also available for free downloaded
from the Internet without the printed documentation, without
the box, and without the installation service. Many open source
and free software products also embody the concept of copyleft.
... We are asking that amendments not be recommended that would
jeopardize the ability of open source and free software
licensor to require [blah blah]

Time Warner, Inc.:

We note that the initial downloading of a copy, from an
authorized source to a purchaser's computer, can result in
lawful ownership of a copy stored in a tangible medium.

Library Associations:

First, as conceded by Time Warner, digital transmissions can
result in the fixation of a tangible copy. By intentionally
engaging in digital transmissions with the awareness that a
tangible copy is made on the recipient's computer, copyright
owners are indeed transferring ownership of a copy of the work
to lawful recipients. Second, the position advanced by Time
Warner and the Copyright Industry Organizations is premised
on a formalistic reading of a particular codification of the
first sale doctrine. When technological change renders the
literal meaning of a statutory provision ambiguous, that
provision "must be construed in light of its basic purpose"
and "should not be so narrowly construed as to permit evasion
because of changing habits due to new inventions and
discoveries." Twentieth Century Music Corp. v. Aiken, 422 U.S.
151, 156-158 (1975). The basic purpose of the first sale
doctrine is to facilitate the continued flow of property
throughout society.

regards,
alexander.

Alan Johnson

Julie wrote:
> "Pete C." wrote:
>
>>JKop wrote:
>><snip>
>>
>>>I have the Standard from 1998. If you want it I'll email it to you.
>>>Just remember to muddle your email address a little, eg.
>>>
>>>(E-Mail Removed)
>>>

>>>Anyone here got the latest Standard and would offer to email it to me?
>>>Sharing is caring.

>>Absolutly not. Aside from the fact that that would be a blatent copyright
>>violation, the PDFs are watermarked with your purchase info to prevent such
>>abhorrant things.
>>
>>- Pete
>>

>>>-JKop

> Is the PDF protected against printing and/or text-select-copy?

INCITS/ISO/IEC 14882:2003 is not. I can't comment on other versions.

Alan

dumboo

> The 1998 version?

yeah at,
vthe2 + @ + yahoo +.com

Mats Weber

I think the standard should be available for free in electronic form, as
is the case for the Ada standard, which is an ISO standard just as C++
is. If it can be done for Ada, why can it not be done for C++ ?

$65, or $18 payable by credit card for a download, puts it out of reach
for schools in many poor countries.

Alexander Terekhov

Mats Weber wrote:

> I think the standard should be available for free in electronic form, as
> is the case for the Ada standard, which is an ISO standard just as C++

Or something like http://www.unix.org/version3/iso_std.html would also
work nicely. C#/CLI is also free in spite of ISO label.

> is. If it can be done for Ada, why can it not be done for C++ ?

Lack of independent from ISO standard development, I guess.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...0nfs0.sdrc.com

regards,
alexander.

JKop

Mats Weber posted:

> I think the standard should be available for free in electronic form, as
> is the case for the Ada standard, which is an ISO standard just as C++
> is. If it can be done for Ada, why can it not be done for C++ ?
>
> $65, or $18 payable by credit card for a download, puts it out of reach
> for schools in many poor countries.

And I think that's a disgrace. Sure I'm even in a 1st World country and I'm
not about to fork over $18 for the thing.

Some-one please email it to me at:

jkop + @ + eircom.net

-JKop

JKop

Mats Weber posted:

> I think the standard should be available for free in electronic form, as
> is the case for the Ada standard, which is an ISO standard just as C++
> is. If it can be done for Ada, why can it not be done for C++ ?
>
> $65, or $18 payable by credit card for a download, puts it out of reach
> for schools in many poor countries.

If you've got the latest Standard, I'd be grateful if you could please email
it to me at:

JKop + @ + eircom + . + net

-JKop

Purchasing Windows Server 2003 James Microsoft Certification 2 08-23-2004 04:06 PM
Purchasing IOS license Steve Wolfe Cisco 7 12-12-2003 04:33 PM
Discount Code: good for purchasing CISSP CBT Gyanez MCSE 1 11-10-2003 08:57 AM
Purchasing VS.NET on eBay John MCSD 2 09-24-2003 02:33 AM
Purchasing IP+ option Aaron Dhiman Cisco 0 07-14-2003 07:34 PM

Advertisments