Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > DBA Certification Benefits?...And Advice

DBA Certification Benefits?...And Advice

Ryan Gagliano

Hello. I am curious if anyone knows how beneficial a DBA certification is
for an individual. Come March of this year, I will be laid off due to a sale
of my current division and will need to start looking for another job fairly
soon (there is a retention bonus that I cannot pass up so I am staying until
March). I have been looking for a job in the New York/New Jersey area,
although I have only been browsing and not doing any hard pushing as of now.
I have not seen many jobs that require a DBA certification but do you think
this would help? I am sure it would but to what extent is my question?

The problem is I only have 2 years of experience with a mortgage company
doing tasks that a typical Data Analyst and Database Administrator perform,
although I have a System Administrator title. I even saved the company
$100,000 last year alone by discovering a glitch while doing some analysis
that several people before me did not notice; this alone nearly gains the
company $1 million over the life of these loans. I know this is something
exceptional but I do not have this on my resume and don't even know if it
should be on my resume.

I even asked to have my title changed and my boss agreed but the President
said no. The other problem is I currently live in the South and worry that
employees will hold this against me. Come April, I do have a friend who I
will live with in New York and plan to use his address on my resume to
hopefully help me with this issue. I have only heard back from 2 jobs in the
New York area and applied to numerous positions. I know that I am a hard
worker and a very quick learner but these days everyone claims to have these
qualities. The way I see it, you either have it or you don't.

So I am writing to see if I should spend the money to become certified.
Being that I only have a System Administrator title and 2 years of
experience, I figured this could potentially help me, although I am not
sure. Has anyone been hired strictly because they are a DBA? I know this
does not guarantee me a job but would it help my chances? Is it worth it?

In the same sense, I am only 9 credit hours away from being qualified to
take the CPA exam. I am sure this would be a much better
qualification..although I do not want to sit out of work while working for
this.

Is there anything else I can do to help my chances?

I would appreciate any advice or criticism from anyone!

Thank You,

Ryan

Adam Machanic

"Ryan Gagliano" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello. I am curious if anyone knows how beneficial a DBA certification is
> for an individual. Come March of this year, I will be laid off due to a

sale

Search Monster/CareerBuilder for 'MCDBA' and see how many jobs require it
vs. just "experience". Should give you a rough guide for how many companies
in your area are looking for it...

--
Adam Machanic
SQL Server MVP

Rhinehold

Ryan Gagliano wrote:
> although I have a System Administrator title. I even saved the company
> $100,000 last year alone by discovering a glitch while doing some analysis
> that several people before me did not notice; this alone nearly gains the
> company $1 million over the life of these loans. I know this is something
> exceptional but I do not have this on my resume and don't even know if it
> should be on my resume.

You should most definately put this on your resume, it is a good
indicator to a potential employer that you have demonstrated ability to
make a company money, which is really all that employers are looking for
when you get right down to it. This type of information is what they
want to see most.