Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Your favorite C++ books?

Your favorite C++ books?

pembed2003

Hi all,
I am looking for buying another C++ book and I want some suggestions
from you. I am a new C++ programmer but I already know some of the
_basic_ ideas such as class, inheritance, operator overloading, etc
but not deep enough. The C++ books I own are pretty old so I want a
newer one that covers some of the new features of C++ such as STL and
share pointer. Any idea? When you reply, can you state the book's
name, author and edition?

Thanks!

John Harrison

"pembed2003" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi all,
> I am looking for buying another C++ book and I want some suggestions
> from you. I am a new C++ programmer but I already know some of the
> _basic_ ideas such as class, inheritance, operator overloading, etc
> but not deep enough. The C++ books I own are pretty old so I want a
> newer one that covers some of the new features of C++ such as STL and
> share pointer. Any idea? When you reply, can you state the book's
> name, author and edition?
>
> Thanks!

Effective C++, More Effective C++ and Effective STL, all by Scott Meyers.
Second one has a good section on reference counting (shared pointers use
reference counting), as well as a lot of other intermediate level C++
techniques. Third covers STL obviously.

Another possibility is The C++ Standard Library by Josuttis, which is a good
tutorial and reference to the STL, but because it is comprehensive also
spreads itself a bit thin.

john

Prateek R Karandikar

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (pembed2003) wrote
> Hi all,
> I am looking for buying another C++ book and I want some suggestions
> from you. I am a new C++ programmer but I already know some of the
> _basic_ ideas such as class, inheritance, operator overloading, etc
> but not deep enough. The C++ books I own are pretty old so I want a
> newer one that covers some of the new features of C++ such as STL and
> share pointer. Any idea? When you reply, can you state the book's
> name, author and edition?

"The C++ Programming Language" (TC++PL) is a very good book. Its
author is Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of C++. Use the latest
edition you can find. I have the 3rd edition. It describes C++ as
defined by the 1998 Standard. The latest Standard is 2003.

> Thanks!

Welcome

To iterate is human, to recurse divine.
-L. Peter Deutsch