Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Can someone please help me???

Can someone please help me???

phil goddard

This homework tests your understanding of pointers and how to use
pointers with arrays and functions.
What we want to do is find the next highest int in an array based on a
given float, i.e. in the following example, based on the float 7.11 we
want to find the 8.

Tasks:
1) Include all the required libraries and define a main().
2) In main, define a
a. float called myFloat, initialize it with 7.11
b. one dimensional array called testArray[10]={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10};
c. an int called testArraySize=10
d. call the function like so:

3) Define two pointers fPtr and aPtr and initialize them to point to
the float and the array
4) Define another pointer called resultPtr, type int*, initialize it
to NULL
5) In main, call the function foo() like so:
resultPtr = foo(fPtr, aPtr, testArraySize);
6) Define a function foo() that
a. receives a) a pointer to a float myFloatPtr and b) a pointer to
an integer myIntPtr and c) an integer myInt,
b. and returns a pointer to an integer
c. Using the pointer notation (i.e. NOT the [subscript] notation !!!),
i. Use the myIntPtr, which points to the beginnigng of testArray (i.e.
the 1) , and loop through the array until either the content of what
myFloatPtr is pointing to (myFloat) is no longer less than the content
of what myIntPtr is pointing to(condition 1), or until a counter
(initialized with 0) is no longer less than myInt (the size of the
array that was passed down that makes sure you don't keep going past
the array size) (condition 2).
ii. While doing the comparison, you will need to cast the content of
the myFloatPtr to an int to avoid warnings.
iii. When condition 1 is met, return the content of myIntPtr, (the
address of where the number in the array that was larger than the
float is located, NOT what myIntPtr is pointing to!)
iv. Else if condition 2 is met, return NULL.
7) Back in main, test if the returned resultPtr is NULL, if yes,
display "NOT FOUND", if not, display the content of what the pointer
is pointing to, which should be 8.

Mike Smith

phil goddard wrote:

> This homework tests your understanding of pointers and how to use
> pointers with arrays and functions.
> What we want to do is find the next highest int in an array based on a
> given float, i.e. in the following example, based on the float 7.11 we
> want to find the 8.
>
> Tasks:

What's there to help you with? You're told *exactly* what to do. Crack
your damned textbook open.

--
Mike Smith

red floyd

phil goddard wrote:
> [redacted]

You forgot to give your instructor's email address, so we could mail the
result to him along with the notification that you asked us to do your
homework for you!

Mike Wahler

"phil goddard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> This homework tests your understanding of pointers and how to use
> pointers with arrays and functions.
> What we want to do is find the next highest int in an array based on a
> given float, i.e. in the following example, based on the float 7.11 we
> want to find the 8.

I am certainly able (and willing) to help you with
your assignment. But perhaps you need to research
the meaning of the word 'help'. It does *not* mean
'do it for me'.

Show us your code, ask specific questions, and we'll help.

-Mike

E. Robert Tisdale

phil goddard wrote:

> This homework

[snip]

This is an obvious troll.
Please ignore it.

Karl Heinz Buchegger

phil goddard wrote:

[snip]

Help with what?
This is one of the most detailed assignments I have
ever seen. With detailed I don't mean: detailed in what
to do, but detailed in how to do it.

Why don't you take this cookbook and execute it?
Start with item 1 and work your way towards the
bottom.

--
Karl Heinz Buchegger

Mabden

"phil goddard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> This homework tests your understanding of pointers and how to use
> pointers with arrays and functions.

OMG, I hope I never have to work with someone who passed a class like this!

--
Mabden

Old Wolf

(E-Mail Removed) (phil goddard) wrote:

> This homework tests your understanding of pointers and how to use
> pointers with arrays and functions.
> Tasks:
> 1) Include all the required libraries and define a main().

#define a main()

> 2) In main, define a
> a. float called myFloat,

a { float called, myFloat,

> initialize it with 7.11

it = 7.11,

> b. one dimensional array called testArray[10]={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10};

testArray[10]={1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10};

> c. an int called testArraySize=10

int testArraySize=10;

> d. call the function like so:

} so() {

> 3) Define two pointers fPtr and aPtr and initialize them to point to
> the float and the array

char *fPtr = "the float and the array";
char *aPtr = fPtr;

> 4) Define another pointer called resultPtr,

#define resultPtr

> type int*,

int*

> initialize it to NULL

it = NULL;

Should all compile just fine. Now that I've given you a start,
you should be able to finish it off yourself.

puppet_sock@hotmail.com

"Mabden" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<BGAvc.78316$(E-Mail Removed) .com>...
> "phil goddard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > This homework tests your understanding of pointers and how to use
> > pointers with arrays and functions.

> OMG, I hope I never have to work with someone who passed a class like this!

"Passed" is bad enough. Wait till you have to work with somebody
who *FAILED* a class like this.
Socks