Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Buying OEM software - Windows XP Home Edition

Buying OEM software - Windows XP Home Edition

=?Utf-8?B?UkE=?=

Hello,

My question involves the legality of buying OEM software. I am interested
in buying Windows XP Home Edition - OEM. What constitutes computer hardware,
that makes my purchase legal?

Also, I have bought a Compaq Armada M700 without an OS. The laptop has a
Microsoft End User licensing sticker for Windows 98 SE. The previous owner
is no longer using the software or has the software. If I have a media copy
of Windows 98 SE from a different system, can I load the media on the laptop
with the license # already assigned to the laptop? Could I purchase a
Windows XP home edition retail upgrade package and be legal as well?

Thank you for your assistance.

T-Bone

"RA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> My question involves the legality of buying OEM software. I am interested
> in buying Windows XP Home Edition - OEM. What constitutes computer

hardware,
> that makes my purchase legal?

Last time I read the agreement, the OEM version must be sold preinstalled on
a complete system unit.

> Also, I have bought a Compaq Armada M700 without an OS. The laptop has a
> Microsoft End User licensing sticker for Windows 98 SE. The previous

owner
> is no longer using the software or has the software. If I have a media

copy
> of Windows 98 SE from a different system, can I load the media on the

laptop
> with the license # already assigned to the laptop? Could I purchase a
> Windows XP home edition retail upgrade package and be legal as well?

The license cannot be removed from the system. So therefore you could
install 98SE if you have the media. The upgrade edition simply look for a
qualifying product on the system, so your suggestion should work.

T-Bone
MCNGP XL

Louis Friend

I buy/sell OEM Operating systems legally by including pc hardware with
the sale. I asked an MS sales rep what qualified as I was including
either a mouse or keyboard (I couldn't believe how ebay dealers
offered a cheapo CD ROM audio cable). He said as long as I felt
comfortable that it went in a computer then it was ok.

It becomes "married" to whatever you install the machine on. So if
someone steals your laptop but not your CD under the terms of the
license you can't install it again on another computer (obviously
you'd include that software cost in your insurance claim). If you
tried to install it, Windows XP has that policing mechanism "WPA" to
impede you or keep you honest depending on your point of view.

BC

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 16:38:17 -0500, "T-Bone" <reply2me@thenewsgroup>
wrote:

>"RA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> My question involves the legality of buying OEM software. I am interested
>> in buying Windows XP Home Edition - OEM. What constitutes computer

>hardware,
>> that makes my purchase legal?

>Last time I read the agreement, the OEM version must be sold preinstalled on
>a complete system unit.
>
>> Also, I have bought a Compaq Armada M700 without an OS. The laptop has a
>> Microsoft End User licensing sticker for Windows 98 SE. The previous

>owner
>> is no longer using the software or has the software. If I have a media

>copy
>> of Windows 98 SE from a different system, can I load the media on the

>laptop
>> with the license # already assigned to the laptop? Could I purchase a
>> Windows XP home edition retail upgrade package and be legal as well?

>The license cannot be removed from the system. So therefore you could
>install 98SE if you have the media. The upgrade edition simply look for a
>qualifying product on the system, so your suggestion should work.
>
>T-Bone
>MCNGP XL

Michael Patten

Hi,

I've been wondering about this since i started to see OEM versions of
windows XP popping up on Ebay.

What, if any, are the functional differences of an OEM version than that of
the retail?
Are these differences the same for products such as Office XP OEM?

I am looking at upgrading a number of computers, and would be buying a new
Mobo & CPU, so i believe that satisfies the criteria for the OEM software -
but would like to know if anyone has encountered any problems with this
software or if there are functional differences.

--
Regards,
Michael Patten

Remember - There are 2 types of users;
Those that have lost data, and those who are about to.
news(E-Mail Removed)...