Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > C# vs Java run on every machine?

C# vs Java run on every machine?

dalewz

Hi,

I know that java can run on any machine. And C# is competing with
java. I just came back from book store. I found that none of C# books
state that its application can run everywhere. I am wondering if C# is
OS dependable?

Thanks. -Dale

John Harrison

"dalewz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I know that java can run on any machine. And C# is competing with
> java. I just came back from book store. I found that none of C# books
> state that its application can run everywhere. I am wondering if C# is
> OS dependable?

Wrong group, this group is for C++, not C# or Java.

Try

or

john

Luther Baker

dalewz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that java can run on any machine. And C# is competing with
> java. I just came back from book store. I found that none of C# books
> state that its application can run everywhere. I am wondering if C# is
> OS dependable?

For clarification, Java applications do not run on any machine.

Java apps and .NET apps both run inside a virtual machine - something
that runs on top of your current operating system.

The Java virtual machine has been ported to several mainstream operating
systems. The .NET virtual machine is really only prevalent on MS
operating systems.

..NET is standardized - so currently, there are a few projects porting
the .NET runtime to other platforms.

-Luther

JKop

dalewz posted:

> Hi,
>
> I know that java can run on any machine. And C# is competing with
> java. I just came back from book store. I found that none of C# books
> state that its application can run everywhere. I am wondering if C# is
> OS dependable?
>
> Thanks. -Dale

Programming languages that depend on a virtual machine are ****.

-JKop

Jorge Rivera

dalewz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I know that java can run on any machine. And C# is competing with
> java. I just came back from book store. I found that none of C# books
> state that its application can run everywhere. I am wondering if C# is
> OS dependable?
>
> Thanks. -Dale

Java can run on any machine that has an implementation of the Java VM.

The equivalen to the Java VM in C# is the CLR, which is part of the .NET
framework. .NET is a standrad by microsoft. The only implementation
outside of Windows that I'm aware of is Mono.

All this rubbish boils down to this.

1. Neither Java nor C# run on any machine.
2. Java is supported in many more platforms than C#.
3. Ask in a Java nesgroup concerning Java, ask in a Microsoft forum for C#.

JLR

Matthew Del Buono

"JKop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:QjQrc.133$(E-Mail Removed)...
> dalewz posted:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know that java can run on any machine. And C# is competing with
> > java. I just came back from book store. I found that none of C# books
> > state that its application can run everywhere. I am wondering if C# is
> > OS dependable?
> >
> > Thanks. -Dale

> Programming languages that depend on a virtual machine are ****.
>

> -JKop

Yeah. How much processing time do you add? Double? Triple? .... Go with a
compiled language. Then distribute the source if you want it compiled on any
system.

-- Matt

Alan Johnson

Jorge Rivera wrote:

> .NET is a standrad by microsoft.

I find that typo really amusing, considering Microsoft's track record
with standards.

Alan

Petec

Matthew Del Buono wrote:
> "JKop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:QjQrc.133$(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

> Yeah. How much processing time do you add? Double? Triple? .... Go
> with a compiled language. Then distribute the source if you want it
> compiled on any system.
>
> -- Matt

Well-written C# code runs at 95% of the speed of equivilent well-written C++
code.
C# is a compiled language. The first time C# code is ran, it is compiled
tailored to the specific machine of the user.

- Pete

JKop

Petec posted:

> Well-written C# code runs at 95% of the speed of equivilent
> well-written C++ code.
> C# is a compiled language. The first time C# code is ran, it is
> compiled tailored to the specific machine of the user.
>
> - Pete

So okay, first of all it's compiled.

==TIME ELAPSES==

Program runs at speed 95% of proper code.

Include the first delay and you're probably looking at 80%.

Starting out in programming, I started with Visual Basic. I was weaned off
that to a real programming language, C++.

If you program in the likes of Visual Basic, Java, C#, .NET, then Yes, you
are a computer programmer, but of the lowest order.

I'll love to see someone program an ATM machine in C#, bagsy not writing the
super cool on-the-fly compiler for it.

-JKop

Petec

JKop wrote:
> Petec posted:
>
>> Well-written C# code runs at 95% of the speed of equivilent
>> well-written C++ code.
>> C# is a compiled language. The first time C# code is ran, it is
>> compiled tailored to the specific machine of the user.
>>
>> - Pete

> So okay, first of all it's compiled.
>
> ==TIME ELAPSES==

Hardly any time, it's extremly quick.

> Program runs at speed 95% of proper code.

C# code is "proper" code.

> Include the first delay and you're probably looking at 80%.

No, the 95% includes JIT compilation.

> Starting out in programming, I started with Visual Basic. I was
> weaned off that to a real programming language, C++.

While it may not be an "elegant" language, VB is nonetheless a real computer
language.

> If you program in the likes of Visual Basic, Java, C#, .NET, then
> Yes, you are a computer programmer, but of the lowest order.

Not sure what you have against such languages, but thanks for the
complement.
I must be "just" a middle order programmer, since I pick the best tool for
the job whether it be C++, C#, VB.NET, or Java.

> I'll love to see someone program an ATM machine in C#, bagsy not
> writing the super cool on-the-fly compiler for it.

Windows CE .Net, a very suitable platform for an ATM machine, comes with the
..Net Compact Framework, a /very/ slightly compacted version of .Net, which
also includes the JIT compiler.

- Pete