Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Market worth?

Market worth?

Nickolas

I would like to know people's thoughts and opinions on what my market
worth will be to employers, also what type jobs I may be eligible
given the experience I have, listed below and the certs I plan to
obtain...please read below...

Experience:
1998-1999: Started as entry-level part-time computer operator in a
Unix environment, running scripts, backups etc.

1999-2000: Technical Support for end users of Dell, supporting
hardware and OS of Desktop and Laptop PCs. Including, but not limited
to, installation and configuring of Windows 95/98/ME, hardware, and
light home networking.

2000-2002: Helpdesk analyst for a company approx 500 employees large.
This included supporting desktop and laptop PCs, Windows 98/2000/NT
3.51/NT 4, login/domain issues, etc.

2002-2003: 8 month contract doing conversions of field offices to
Citrix. Included updating software (drivers, OS, etc) on field PCs,
creating users in company DB, setting up Windows 2000 logins, setting
permissions, etc for field users. Doing actual conversion of field
office which was mostly DB work, but also included, converting email
from legacy system, to web based application, making sure network
protocols were, as they should be, etc. Involved with the development
(from ground-up) of a test environment specifically for
pseudo-conversions.

2003-Present: Computer Operations for large stock brokerage firm.
Nightly operations of a multi-server/multi-environment (Windows 2000
Server/2003 Server) setting. Running backups (DLT), load monitoring,
light server configuration (services, etc). Also includes occasional
server reboots, HD swaps (RAID), etc. Heavy use of SQL Server, using
the QA client as a large part of job requires running queries for
different reasons. Worked closely with network engineers, BAs, and
app developers to improve efficiency, fix operational issues, etc.

I plan to first get my MCSA, and then fill in to get my MCSE. After
which I plan to take my CCNA.

What kind of position should I expect to pursue, given my experience
and certification I will have?

T-Bone

"Nickolas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> I would like to know people's thoughts and opinions on what my market
> worth will be to employers, also what type jobs I may be eligible
> given the experience I have, listed below and the certs I plan to
> obtain...please read below...

I would go the other way. What kind of job do you think you would like? Then
see if your experiences matches, or take an entry level job for that
position. In today's market jobs are scare, so you really have to go with
something you like doing.

Aside from general hardware work, it looks like you have some database
experience? That might be a good possibility. Plus database admin jobs pay
well, at least compared to other tech jobs.

T-Bone
MCNGP XL

Mark

Go to monster.com and compare what employers are looking for against your
qualifications. Location, education, economy, experience, employer
requirement, security clearance, background... in other words. It's like any
other job.

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...