Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > wave file

wave file

vikram

in a stereo type of wave file

i want to know what is this left & right info in a wave file???

how do i read the left & right info from a .wav file to a buffer..

Karl Heinz Buchegger

vikram wrote:

> in a stereo type of wave file
>
> i want to know what is this left & right info in a wave file???
>
> how do i read the left & right info from a .wav file to a buffer..

Even if you think it is, this is not a question
about C++. It is a question of how a particula file
format works.

Unfortunately I have no idea, where you could ask such
a question.

--
Karl Heinz Buchegger

Victor Bazarov

vikram wrote:
> in a stereo type of wave file
>
> i want to know what is this left & right info in a wave file???
>
> how do i read the left & right info from a .wav file to a buffer..

I am sorry, vikram, what's your C++ language question?

JKop

vikram posted:

> in a stereo type of wave file
>
> i want to know what is this left & right info in a wave file???
>
> how do i read the left & right info from a .wav file to a buffer..

Let me see if I have this right:

You have a stereo wave file. A stereo wave file has two seperate channels.
It's like two mono wave files played simultaneously, although through
different output devices, ie. two different speakers.

You want to split this stereo wave file into two mono wave files, either
just in memory, or on disk.

Well...

First thing you need to do is read up on what way a wave file is written.
This involves learning about the "header" of a wave file. I did this myself
about 2 years ago with several different media files types, MP3, WAV, WMA,
MID.

First thing, go to www.google.com, search for

WAVE SOUND AUDIO HEADER .WAV

That should probably give you a good site that will describe the header of a
wave file perfectly. It's ALOT less complicated than MP3 in anyway.

Once you know what you're doing then, I believe there's a good bit a stuff
in the C++ Standard Library that will help you greatly.

-JKop

Default User

Karl Heinz Buchegger wrote:

> vikram wrote:
> >
> > in a stereo type of wave file
> >
> > i want to know what is this left & right info in a wave file???
> >
> > how do i read the left & right info from a .wav file to a buffer..

> Even if you think it is, this is not a question
> about C++. It is a question of how a particula file
> format works.
>
> Unfortunately I have no idea, where you could ask such
> a question.

A good place to start looking for information on proprietary file
formats is wotsit.org:

http://www.wotsit.org/search.asp?page=8&s=music

Brian Rodenborn