Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Reading and Typing Korean

Reading and Typing Korean

=?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=

I have Windows 2000 Professional. I formatted my hard drive and am setting
up everything again. I have problems with reading and typing Korean. I set
up Control Panel/Regional Options/General/Marked Korean. I do see the ‘EN’
icon on the bottom bar. However, I have 2 problems.

1) Before formatting, when I click the ‘EN’ icon, I had three listings and
chose one to bring out a box that let me type Korean characters. However,
now I have only two options and when I click “English (United States)-Korean
(Hangul)” option, nothing happens. That is, the box does not appear and I
cannot type in Korean.
2) Before formatting, somehow I set up to read Korean language everywhere on
Windows, such as Outlook Express, Office, Windows Explorer, and IE. However,
I cannot read Korean any longer.

Can you help me? Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Patrick Dickey

Hello, "Jean" <(E-Mail Removed)>!
You wrote on Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:19:05 -0800:

J> 1) Before formatting, when I click the EN icon, I had three listings
J> and chose one to bring out a box that let me type Korean characters.
J> However, now I have only two options and when I click English (United
J> States)-Korean (Hangul) option, nothing happens. That is, the box does
J> not appear and I cannot type in Korean.
J> 2) Before formatting, somehow I set up to read Korean language
J> everywhere on Windows, such as Outlook Express, Office, Windows
J> Explorer, and IE. However, I cannot read Korean any longer.

Just out of curiousity, have you gone to Windows Update, and gotten the
Korean Language Packs? They will be in the Windows portion of your
available updates.
Hope this helps.

Patrick Dickey. E-mail: pd1ckey43(removeThis)@msn.com
---
Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you...

=?Utf-8?B?SmVhbg==?=

Hi, Patrick.

Thank you for the suggestion. I did install the "Korean Language Packs."
However, the package is not useful for me because I have W2k and the package
is for W XP.

The procedure that I took to set up was,

Control Panel-> Regional Options -> General Tab -> Language Settings for the
System -> Select Korean -> Input Locales Tab -> Add Korean

This procedure enabled me to type and read most of Korean. However, the
problem remaining is the file names and the subject line for Outlook, that
they do not convert into Korean.

Do you or anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks