Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > sort and reading a textfile

sort and reading a textfile

BjoernJackschina

Hello,
I just look for a capability to sort several words in view of
alphabet.
An example:
stop is 'opst'
reach is 'aechr'
This should read in a new file so that I can look for same letter
orders. When I find the same orders it is an anagram.
My problem is to sort and to select the textfile. I need dataset for
dataset. What is the best way to realize that.

Many thanks for answer

Karl Heinz Buchegger

BjoernJackschina wrote:

> Hello,
> I just look for a capability to sort several words in view of
> alphabet.
> An example:
> stop is 'opst'
> reach is 'aechr'
> This should read in a new file so that I can look for same letter
> orders. When I find the same orders it is an anagram.
> My problem is to sort

take the word and split it into a vector of characters.
sort that vector.
create a new string from the sorted vector

> and to select the textfile.

not sure what you mean by that.

> I need dataset for
> dataset. What is the best way to realize that.

What do you have already?
It's much simpler to tailor an answer to somebody if we
know what level of knowledege we can expect from you and
if we know what parts you can solve on your own.

Usually newbies make the same mistake over and over: They
write to much in one big rush. Divide your problem into
subproblems and solve them. Be prepared to throw away
code.

eg.

you could start with:

enter a word from the user
sort the letters
output the letters

Test what you have so far

move the sorting functionality into a function of its own.

Test what you have so far

open a specific file
read a word
output the word for checking
sort the word (using the previously written function)
output the sorted word
close file

Test what you have so far

modify the inner workings of your program to not read
one word but to read all words in a loop

Test what you have so far

replace the fixed filename with some logic to ask the
user for the filename

*** Whole assignment done ****

The important part is: Do small modifications to your program
and test them!

Be prepared: the above smells like homework. So you need
to show code snippets or your whole program and ask specific
questions about that.

--
Karl Heinz Buchegger

Michiel Salters

(E-Mail Removed) (BjoernJackschina) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hello,
> I just look for a capability to sort several words in view of
> alphabet.
> An example:
> stop is 'opst'
> reach is 'aechr'
> This should read in a new file so that I can look for same letter
> orders. When I find the same orders it is an anagram.
> My problem is to sort and to select the textfile. I need dataset for
> dataset. What is the best way to realize that.
>
> Many thanks for answer

Lucky for you, C++ has a number of types and algorithms ready for you.
For instance, the string type and the sort algorithm will give you
the "stop"->"opst" transformation, with one line of code:
// std::string word = "stop"
std::sort( word.begin(), word.end() );

Now, what do you do with the textfile? Each word goes into a
std::string, and each sorted word into another. You want to keep
these together, so you can use a std:air<std::string,std::string>
for that. std::multimap<std::string,std::string> keeps a sorted
collection of such pairs, so you can quickly lookup "opst".
You'll then find the pair "opst","post".

Regards,
Michiel Salters