Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > some strange behavior after SP2

some strange behavior after SP2

=?Utf-8?B?cmFkbWFu?=

Whoa - SP2 even blocks pop-ups from Microsoft!

Ok - after installing SP2, my computer boots weirdly. When I log on, it
loads my settings, I get my desktop w/icons, but not all items load to the
taskbar. The hard drive quits grinding - like it's thinking. If I put the
cursor over the taskbar, I get the hourglass and can't use the 'start' button
nor start any programs from the task bar.
I can access programs from the desktop icons. After several minutes, the
hourglass will go away and the task bar will work. If I log off and log on
again, it comes up with no problems.

Any ideas??

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Try one of the many Windows XP newsgroups, this is not a certification
issue:
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"radman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Whoa - SP2 even blocks pop-ups from Microsoft!
>
> Ok - after installing SP2, my computer boots weirdly. When I log
> on, it
> loads my settings, I get my desktop w/icons, but not all items load
> to the
> taskbar. The hard drive quits grinding - like it's thinking. If I
> put the
> cursor over the taskbar, I get the hourglass and can't use the
> 'start' button
> nor start any programs from the task bar.
> I can access programs from the desktop icons. After several
> minutes, the
> hourglass will go away and the task bar will work. If I log off and
> log on
> again, it comes up with no problems.
>
> Any ideas??

yes .. make sure that you have updated your BIOS, some
pc's will not work properly if the BIOS has not been
upgraded, also make sure that you have exited ALL and any
antivirus software during installion of Service pack 2,
in fact any software that you are not using and is in the
task bar, close where possible, run a system check, type
chkdsl /f in the Run Box (from Start) .. try doing this
under Safe Mode ( use the F8 key when booting your PC,
you should be given an extra set of variables to use, use
Safe Mode only, run a defrag whilst in safe mode and if
you are using sayb Norton , run that as well, not all AV
software will run in Safe Mode , Norton will) Hope that
helps you