Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Buffer size & Prebuffering size?

Buffer size & Prebuffering size?

Skyhorse

In fact, this is not a programming problem, but I think I can seek help here

Sometimes I saw terms about multimedia such as 'prebuffering', 'buffer size'
, but I don't know their actual meaning.
Recently I downloaded a MP3 player for Pocket PC, there is an option about
streaming for user to enter Buffer Size (default is 64 kB) and Prebuffering
Size (default is 32 kB).
Can anyone suggest (or just guess) what is the difference between buffer
size and prebuffering size?
If these values are larger, does it mean that the streaming performance will
be better?

Thanks

Gregg

"Skyhorse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:c5nvul$26uq$(E-Mail Removed):

> In fact, this is not a programming problem, but I think I can seek
> help here

You could, but it would be inappropriate, and probably not appreciated.
This group is for discussion of the C++ language, very specifically.

> Can anyone suggest (or just guess) what is the difference between
> buffer size and prebuffering size?

Probably the buffer size is the amount of space to be made available for
buffering stream data, while the prebuffering size is the portion of it to
fill initially before starting to play (thus beginning to empty the
buffer). Once playback has started, the buffer size can fluctuate around
the prelbuffering size depending on the relative speed of incoming data and
playback.

Gregg

Niels Dybdahl

> Can anyone suggest (or just guess) what is the difference between buffer
> size and prebuffering size?
> If these values are larger, does it mean that the streaming performance

will
> be better?

If the prebuffering size is larger, then it will probably take longer before
it starts playing.
Larger buffers will not increase streaming speed, but it will protect to a
certain degree against variations in streaming speed.

Niels Dybdahl

Skyhorse

Thank you very much
I don't know where to seek for help hence I post here
Thanks Gregg and Niels again

"Niels Dybdahl" <(E-Mail Removed)-graphics.com> bl
news:407fcb04$0$169$(E-Mail Removed) g...
> > Can anyone suggest (or just guess) what is the difference between buffer
> > size and prebuffering size?
> > If these values are larger, does it mean that the streaming performance

> will
> > be better?

> If the prebuffering size is larger, then it will probably take longer

before
> it starts playing.
> Larger buffers will not increase streaming speed, but it will protect to a
> certain degree against variations in streaming speed.
>
> Niels Dybdahl

EventHelix.com

This question is off topic in this newsgroup.

A larger buffer in the streaming application will improve performance
as there will be less impact of the delay variations in the network.

Sandeep
--
http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio
EventStudio 2.0 - System Architecture Design CASE Tool