Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > please help me to choose a C++ book

please help me to choose a C++ book

Kelvin Chan

hi everyone
im wondering if there is a book about C++ which is rated must-read like the
"C programming language 2nd ed." on C?
im a EE student and have a strong background in C.

Please give me some advice on choosing a C++ book. im totally lost right now
cuz there are really way too many books on C++.
and i'm really appreciated if you can share some websites on C++ with me.
Thank you very much.
have a nice day
--
{ Kelvin@!!! }

Tony S

No you are an idiot and you don't know how to post in here. (Just kidding
but I thought I would save the other idiots in here the trouble)

I use Deitel's C++ How to Program Fourth Edition.

"Kelvin Chan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> hi everyone
> im wondering if there is a book about C++ which is rated must-read like

the
> "C programming language 2nd ed." on C?
> im a EE student and have a strong background in C.
>
> Please give me some advice on choosing a C++ book. im totally lost right

now
> cuz there are really way too many books on C++.
> and i'm really appreciated if you can share some websites on C++ with me.
> Thank you very much.
> have a nice day
> --
> { Kelvin@!!! }

Steven T. Hatton

Kelvin Chan wrote:

> hi everyone
> im wondering if there is a book about C++ which is rated must-read like
> the "C programming language 2nd ed." on C?
> im a EE student and have a strong background in C.
>
> Please give me some advice on choosing a C++ book. im totally lost right
> now cuz there are really way too many books on C++.
> and i'm really appreciated if you can share some websites on C++ with me.
> Thank you very much.
> have a nice day

The FAQ for this newsgroup has some books listed.
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/
I'll also suggest looking at the "Netiquette when posting to comp.lang.c++"
item, so you will understand a bit about the eccentric culture found
herein.

It sounds to me the book you should read is _The C++ Programming Language
Special Edition_ http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html It is the K&R of
C++. Well, except that there is no K&R for C++.

There's no easy answer. C++ is much larger than C, and is probably the most
complex general purpose programming language ever created.

--
p->m == (*p).m == p[0].m
http://www.kdevelop.org

Kelvin Chan

thank you very much.
the FAQ is pretty helpful.

woow.. "eccentric culture" haha.
sounds pretty interesting

--
{ Kelvin@!!! }
"Steven T. Hatton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Kelvin Chan wrote:
>
> > hi everyone
> > im wondering if there is a book about C++ which is rated must-read like
> > the "C programming language 2nd ed." on C?
> > im a EE student and have a strong background in C.
> >
> > Please give me some advice on choosing a C++ book. im totally lost right
> > now cuz there are really way too many books on C++.
> > and i'm really appreciated if you can share some websites on C++ with

me.
> > Thank you very much.
> > have a nice day

> The FAQ for this newsgroup has some books listed.
> http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/
> I'll also suggest looking at the "Netiquette when posting to

comp.lang.c++"
> item, so you will understand a bit about the eccentric culture found
> herein.
>
> It sounds to me the book you should read is _The C++ Programming Language
> Special Edition_ http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html It is the K&R of
> C++. Well, except that there is no K&R for C++.
>
> There's no easy answer. C++ is much larger than C, and is probably the

most
> complex general purpose programming language ever created.
>
> --
> p->m == (*p).m == p[0].m
> http://www.kdevelop.org
> http://www.suse.com
> http://www.mozilla.org

Jon Bell

In article <Tn3dc.47281$oR5.40087@pd7tw3no>,
Kelvin Chan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>im wondering if there is a book about C++ which is rated must-read like the
>"C programming language 2nd ed." on C?
>im a EE student and have a strong background in C.

No question about it: "The C++ Programming Language", 3rd edition (or the
"special edition" if you want the hardback), by Bjarne Stroustrup, the
creator of C++.

For a tutorial introduction to C++ that focuses on the cool stuff in the
standard library (unlike most other C++ tutorials), check out Koenig and
Moo's "Accelerated C++."

--
Jon Bell <(E-Mail Removed)> Presbyterian College

Thomas Matthews

Tony S wrote:
> No you are an idiot and you don't know how to post in here. (Just kidding
> but I thought I would save the other idiots in here the trouble)
>
> I use Deitel's C++ How to Program Fourth Edition.
>
> "Kelvin Chan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>hi everyone
>>im wondering if there is a book about C++ which is rated must-read like

> the
>
>>"C programming language 2nd ed." on C?
>>im a EE student and have a strong background in C.
>>
>>Please give me some advice on choosing a C++ book. im totally lost right

> now
>
>>cuz there are really way too many books on C++.
>>and i'm really appreciated if you can share some websites on C++ with me.
>>Thank you very much.
>>have a nice day
>>--
>>{ Kelvin@!!! }

Regarding being an idiot, have you read the FAQ and welcome.txt,
especially about not top-posting?

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

new to python, trying to choose a book. sogeking99 Python 1 03-06-2011 09:22 PM
Which book should I choose? Chris MCAD 0 02-22-2005 02:11 PM
10D on its way - please help choose lens and more This Old Man Digital Photography 16 10-16-2003 06:58 AM
Re: Help please!!! I just can't choose a new camera... Frank ess Digital Photography 2 08-21-2003 06:53 AM

Advertisments