Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Case Modding > powering a ccfl without psu?

powering a ccfl without psu?

07-15-2005
hey guys, i was just wondering how i could power a ccfl without a psu?
cause i want to put one on my desk above my monitor

07-15-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynDR0m3
hey guys, i was just wondering how i could power a ccfl without a psu?
cause i want to put one on my desk above my monitor
You need 12 volts to power the cold cathode. I have several cold cathode tubes taped to the edge of glass tables in my printer-to-computer-deja-vu machine. I used black duct tape (3" wide) to hold the tubes there, and to block out the light that wasn't going through the edge of the glass tables. My 12 volts come from the machine, using molex extensions. You could get a 12 volt regulated power supply from Radio Shack, and then wire up a Molex connector to support the cold cathode(s). However, I recommend just running one PSU line out the back of your case with extensions to power up your cold cathode(s).

07-15-2005
That I would like to do.

07-16-2005
or.... u could get a spare psu and connect the green and black(on atx connector)(or use the at button on a at psu) and u got yourself 230watts(well thats what mine is ) for cold cathodes!

07-16-2005
...is making plant rack fan buses, where I jumper the two pins on the PSU connector, and use the PSU to run some fans on two plant racks my wife has for growing orchids. Plug the PSU into a timer with the plant lights, and it's all automatic. Works great. This is what I do with the cheap PSUs that come with cheap cases.

07-17-2005
lol, man u have the funniest ideas , but most of them are cool, u have to get us some pics of the plant rack

07-18-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by unholy
lol, man u have the funniest ideas , but most of them are cool, u have to get us some pics of the plant rack
You know, I wasted 30 minutes trying to track down old digital pictures of the plant racks, and could not find them. I don't understand that, as I thought I had saved all my digital pictures. Anyway, I decided to take some new pictures of them, so here we go:
The first set is from the basement plant rack, which even has a blue cold cathode light on top. I usually have the light switched off, as who's gonna be looking at that when the plant lights are on anyway? This install has three fans running with a fan controller, and the PSU is on top of the rack.

Now here is the upstairs plant rack, located in our sitting room (off the master bedroom). This is a smaller rack, with only two shelves. I have two fans running here, with a rheostat to control them. The PSU is hanging from the top bracket.

In both cases, I used cheap, generic PSUs with a jumper in the motherboard connector to fool it into thinking it has the power-on signal from the motherboard. These work great, and have all the normal over-voltage, over-current protections you want to have running with a custom installation. In other words, it should be save to run, just like having your computer running. I have them on timers, as the plants don't need a breeze on them 24/7. On top of that, we don't want to listen to fans running upstairs, so they shut down around 10:30PM.

08-01-2005
thats pretty cool al, but the main reason i want to power it without a psu, is because i'm really short on money at the moment, i'm also building a comp for the garage, instead of using a stereo for outside by the pool
i'm modding it as well (window, neon etc.) if theres enough space inside the box i'm using, its not a proper case its like one of them old tape boxes...anyway, specs will prbly be like
p3 400, 128mb ram, onboard gfx, onboard sound, win xp pro...but some REALLY beefy speakers, if i had a digi cam i'd create a worklog but i cbf so yea lol anywayz soz bout the long post!! hehe.

08-01-2005
Well, how are you going to get the 12 volts without a PSU? You can use a regulated power supply from Radioshack. You can even build your own 12 volt power supply with a transformer and some capacitors / diodes / etc. Overall though, it's much cheaper to use a cheap PSU that comes bundled with a cheap PC case. You would probably spend $30 for the parts themselves, and then you still have the concern over how safe it was to operate.

08-01-2005
leave the transformer out man its a dangerous business without knowledge, al probably could write a tutorial on how to make invertos and transformer but u will still need knowledge (make it its a good idea, for those people who can mod very very very well and have a small amount of electronics in their background)