Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Re: sp2 wiped my hard drive

Re: sp2 wiped my hard drive

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Do not confuse memory with the hard drive.
Dumping the memory does nothing to the data on the hard drive.

How to use the Automatic Recovery feature to recover your computer if
the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Setup program is not completed
successfully:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=875355

Reboot tapping F8 each second.
Select "Last known good configuration" at the menu.
If that fails, reboot tapping F8 again this time choosing Safe Mode.
Then System Restore to Date/Time before issue started:
Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore

Otherwise perform a Repair Installation:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

When you are ready for SP-2, follow the Service Pack Installation
Checklist:

Also this is not a certification issue so you should take this to the
windows Update newsgroup or an appropriate Windows XP newsgroup:
http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/