Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > writing a plugin for ethereal ... where to start

writing a plugin for ethereal ... where to start

Johnny B

posted this in the wrong NG...all help is appreciated.

<--orig post-->
Hello all,

I'm going to attempt to write a plugin for ethereal that analyzes
packets from the SIP protocol. I can't really find any information on
google (not much info on writing your own plugins). I'm not sure on
how to go about starting this for i have never tackled this type of
project. my only c++ experience comes from win32 console
applications. however, i'm willing to do the research to accomplish
what is necessary for this task. somebody mentioned looking into the
'winpcap' library, but that's all i have as of now. i want to know
what i should research as far as making a plugin for the ethereal app,
how the two will communicate etc etc. all info is welcome, and the
most simplistic explanations (for clarity sake) are appreciated.
thanks in advance!
<--/orig post-->

Jack Klein

On 20 Feb 2004 18:05:41 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Johnny B) wrote
in comp.lang.c++:

> posted this in the wrong NG...all help is appreciated.
>
> <--orig post-->
> Hello all,
>
> I'm going to attempt to write a plugin for ethereal that analyzes
> packets from the SIP protocol. I can't really find any information on
> google (not much info on writing your own plugins). I'm not sure on
> how to go about starting this for i have never tackled this type of
> project. my only c++ experience comes from win32 console
> applications. however, i'm willing to do the research to accomplish
> what is necessary for this task. somebody mentioned looking into the
> 'winpcap' library, but that's all i have as of now. i want to know
> what i should research as far as making a plugin for the ethereal app,
> how the two will communicate etc etc. all info is welcome, and the
> most simplistic explanations (for clarity sake) are appreciated.
> thanks in advance!
> <--/orig post-->

You're still in the wrong newsgroup. None of plugin, ethereal,
packers, or SIP protocol are part of the C++ language.

I don't know where this question is appropriate, but I do know that it
is not here.

Since you mention Win32, you probably need a Windows programming group
or a Visual C++ support group.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

Packet retransmits and bad check sum on ethereal capture Newbie72 Cisco 4 03-10-2006 01:52 PM
Ethereal not capturing calls to localhost Jeff User ASP .Net 2 11-13-2005 12:41 AM
nmap, ethereal, tcpdump, ngrep etc for Windows BOBAH.XPEHOB@gmail.com Computer Security 0 08-19-2005 02:03 PM
Ethereal ---help Benson Cisco 3 05-19-2005 06:29 AM
writing a plugin for ethereal ... where to start Johnny B C Programming 3 02-20-2004 05:50 AM

Advertisments