Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Who's for chess?

Who's for chess?

Paul Franklin

Hi,
I am writing some C++ code, and the problem is analogous to the
following situation:

Take a Chess Board of 8x8 (nxn) blocks and I have 8 (n) horses. Like
in chess, the horses are placed at a distance of 2 and a half blocks
apart from the preceding horse. For example, Horse B is at a distance
of 2 and a half blocks from horse A, Horse C is at a distance of 2 and
a half blocks from horse B and so on. If one of the horses is moved
to any different block on the board, the other horses should realign
themselves so that the distances between the horse and the preceding
horse should always be 2 and a half blocks.

So, how can I ensure this?

Thanks!
Paul.

Thomas Matthews

Paul Franklin wrote:
> Hi,
> I am writing some C++ code, and the problem is analogous to the
> following situation:
>
> Take a Chess Board of 8x8 (nxn) blocks and I have 8 (n) horses. Like
> in chess, the horses are placed at a distance of 2 and a half blocks
> apart from the preceding horse. For example, Horse B is at a distance
> of 2 and a half blocks from horse A, Horse C is at a distance of 2 and
> a half blocks from horse B and so on. If one of the horses is moved
> to any different block on the board, the other horses should realign
> themselves so that the distances between the horse and the preceding
> horse should always be 2 and a half blocks.
>
> So, how can I ensure this?
>
> Thanks!
> Paul.

This is a good discussion issue for news:comp.programming,
where algorithms are discussed. This isn't a C++ language
issue, so I am setting the followups.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message: