Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > starting program without taskbar item

starting program without taskbar item

Xypher

I wrote a pretty basic application in c++ which runs in a

while (true)
{

//do something

Sleep(xxx milliseconds);
}

loop.

It is designed to run in the background. Therefore, it has no UI.
Though, when I start the app, a shell opens, of course.
Now I am looking for an easy way to get rid of this nasty shell - the
program just ought to run invisibly.

I want to avoid installing a service - is there another way?

I used the basic std c entry call:

int main(int argc, char argv[])
{
//...
//while loop (see above)
}

I avoided MFC and all the other MS stuff to keep the program small in
size. Currently it needs 140 kb RAM. It would be nice if the size
didn't become bigger.

Regards,

Xypher

lallous

"Xypher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I wrote a pretty basic application in c++ which runs in a
>
> while (true)
> {
>
> //do something
>
> Sleep(xxx milliseconds);
> }
>
> loop.
>
> It is designed to run in the background. Therefore, it has no UI.
> Though, when I start the app, a shell opens, of course.
> Now I am looking for an easy way to get rid of this nasty shell - the
> program just ought to run invisibly.
>
> I want to avoid installing a service - is there another way?
>
> I used the basic std c entry call:
>
> int main(int argc, char argv[])
> {
> //...
> //while loop (see above)
> }
>
> I avoided MFC and all the other MS stuff to keep the program small in
> size. Currently it needs 140 kb RAM. It would be nice if the size
> didn't become bigger.
>
> Regards,
>
> Xypher

Hello

Compile your program as a Win32 GUI application rather than a Win32 console
application.
Your program will have WinMain() as entry point instead of main().

For further questions regarding this issue try asking in
microsoft.public.vc.language or .mfc

--
Elias