Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Good book for learning STL for newbie?

Good book for learning STL for newbie?

prashna

Hi all,
Could anyone recomend me a good book for learning STL?I have just
started learning C++ ( I have read C++ PRIMER).I would like to have a
book which has lot's of examples and should not be very expensive. One
of my freind recomended STL Tutorial and Reference Guide, by David
Musser and Atul Saini.Any Idea of how good this book is for beginners?

Thanks,
Ashwath

Fred H

> Could anyone recomend me a good book for learning STL?

This is a really good one:

Name: The C++ Standard Library - A Tutorial and Reference
Author: Nicolai M. Josuttis
ISBN: 0201379260

I have it, and I'm very pleased with it.

--
Fred H

void FredH::Contact() {
TextToSpeach.say("frode at age dee dee dot en oh");
}

Jeff Schwab

prashna wrote:
> Hi all,
> Could anyone recomend me a good book for learning STL?I have just
> started learning C++ ( I have read C++ PRIMER).I would like to have a
> book which has lot's of examples and should not be very expensive. One
> of my freind recomended STL Tutorial and Reference Guide, by David
> Musser and Atul Saini.Any Idea of how good this book is for beginners?

Folks here seem to love the Josuttis std. library book. I own it, and
it's a great reference, by I found this much more useful when I was
first learning about the library:

http://www.awprofessional.com/catalog/product.asp?product_id={1E309761-654D-4793-84D0-A6F687965ABB}&session_id={781B0F22-B5AD-48EA-BE55-60F96570C160}

A lot of folks here seem to use the terms "standard library" and "STL"
interchangeably, too. If you actually need an introduction to the whole
standard library, go with the Josuttis book. If you're comfortable with
strings and streams, but iterators and containers are still mysterious
to you, the Addison-Wesley book may be more useful to you.

Martijn Lievaart

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 12:09:59 +0000, Fred H wrote:

>> Could anyone recomend me a good book for learning STL?

> This is a really good one:
>
> Name: The C++ Standard Library - A Tutorial and Reference Author:
> Nicolai M. Josuttis
> ISBN: 0201379260
>
> I have it, and I'm very pleased with it.

So am I, it is a must have. I use it almost daily. But it's not a very
good tutorial, even if it is *way* better than most.

Unfortunately, I don't have an alternative except to say that there is a
lot of rubbish out there. You might want to use google to search this
group (add alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ as well) to see if it is recommended
or not. Also, maybe even before that, have a look at the accu website,
(www.accu.org) they have lot's of reviews. Something there should suit
your needs and they'll warn you away from the bad ones.

You mention that it should not be to expensive, but truth to tell, a good
programmer needs good books. Note the plural. My advice:

1) Get Josuttis. You'll want it anyhow. Never mind the cost, it's worth it
thrice.

2) If it's tutorial part is not what you want, search another tutorial and
get that as well.

3) Get "Effective STL" by Meyers. It's the other must-have for the STL.
Get this last, but do get it.

As an alternative to step 2, there are some very good C++ tutorials that
teach enough STL to get you going with the Josuttis book. So maybe you
should get something like "Accellerated C++" (Koenig and Moo) or "Thinking
in C++" (Eckel) instead of a pure STL tutorial.

A last alternative is to skip step 2 completely and rely on newsgroups.
This can be very effective for those that are quick learners.

HTH,
M4

jeffc

"Martijn Lievaart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) rt.rtij.nl...
> On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 12:09:59 +0000, Fred H wrote:
>

> >> Could anyone recomend me a good book for learning STL?

> > This is a really good one:
> >
> > Name: The C++ Standard Library - A Tutorial and Reference Author:
> > Nicolai M. Josuttis
> > ISBN: 0201379260
> >
> > I have it, and I'm very pleased with it.

> So am I, it is a must have. I use it almost daily. But it's not a very
> good tutorial, even if it is *way* better than most.

I'd say that sums it up pretty well.

jeffc

"Jeff Schwab" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Folks here seem to love the Josuttis std. library book. I own it, and
> it's a great reference, by I found this much more useful when I was
> first learning about the library:

http://www.awprofessional.com/catalog/product.asp?product_id={1E309761-654D-
4793-84D0-A6F687965ABB}&session_id={781B0F22-B5AD-48EA-BE55-60F96570C160}

That's a link to the first edition. Presumably one would want the second
edition
http://makeashorterlink.com/?T5EE22E47

But in that case, Bookpool, as usual, is better
http://www.bookpool.com/.x/ahwprnjmf...?qs=stl+musser

Don Kim

> Could anyone recomend me a good book for learning STL?I have just
> started learning C++ ( I have read C++ PRIMER).I would like to have a
> book which has lot's of examples and should not be very expensive. One
> of my freind recomended STL Tutorial and Reference Guide, by David
> Musser and Atul Saini.Any Idea of how good this book is for beginners?

Here's one I found quite useful:

C++ Standard Library From Scratch (From Scratch)
by Pablo Halpern (Author)

a.. Publisher: Que; 1st edition (November 15, 1999)
a.. ISBN: 0789721287

You learn the library within the context of building a program called
TinyPIM. This helps keep your interests up, since you learn how to apply
the library for a useful and moderately sized project (about a couple
thousand lines of code). After this, you can then read Josuttis and apply
some of the more advanced stuff from his book to extend the PIM from the
Halpern book.

Here's a link toAmazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Good luck.

-Don

Jon Bell

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
prashna <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Hi all,
>Could anyone recomend me a good book for learning STL?I have just
>started learning C++ ( I have read C++ PRIMER).

Koenig and Moo, "Accelerated C++", will get you started. It's actually a
beginner's C++ book, but it uses the standard library earlier and more
thoroughly than any other beginner's C++ book that I've seen.

--
Jon Bell <(E-Mail Removed)> Presbyterian College

jeffc

"Jon Bell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bvuo1c$hlr$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) >,
>
> Koenig and Moo, "Accelerated C++", will get you started. It's actually a
> beginner's C++ book...

<nit>A *C++* beginner's book (as opposed to programming beginner.)

Re: Good book on STL Ambar Shukla C++ 1 05-06-2008 06:19 PM
Good book for learning photography with digital cam ? swebb99 Digital Photography 3 06-21-2007 03:02 PM
Looking for a good book to begin learning Javascript WJRutledge Javascript 3 04-14-2007 06:49 PM