Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > c/c++ compiler on windows

c/c++ compiler on windows

Anand S Bisen

Hello

Generally i write my programs in some sort of unix boxes, but now that i
got a laptop and i have windows xp running on top of that i was shopping
around for a decent c/c++ compiler. I can get visual studio .net 2002,
2003 or plain visual studio 6 free for download from my university but
they look pretty much over kill for what i do. I generally code in plain
ANSI C/C++ and i dont want to give huge disk space for just a compiler
and it's libraries.

I would really appreciate if somebody could point me to a c/c++ or even
fortran compiler IDE for windows that i can buy/download/etc.. for my
personal use.

Thanks

Anand

Christian Bau

In article <bvf03l$hek$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Anand S Bisen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Generally i write my programs in some sort of unix boxes, but now that i
> got a laptop and i have windows xp running on top of that i was shopping
> around for a decent c/c++ compiler. I can get visual studio .net 2002,
> 2003 or plain visual studio 6 free for download from my university but
> they look pretty much over kill for what i do. I generally code in plain
> ANSI C/C++ and i dont want to give huge disk space for just a compiler
> and it's libraries.
>
> I would really appreciate if somebody could point me to a c/c++ or even
> fortran compiler IDE for windows that i can buy/download/etc.. for my
> personal use.

Try the Metrowerks Codewarrior compiler. I've got Codewarrior 6 for
Windows from a magazine cover (version 8 or 9 is probably current and
costs real money), and for writing C or C++ code even that essentially
free version is pure heaven compared to .Net.

Or try the Watcom compiler. C, C++ and Fortran, and all free including
source code. I haven't tried any of them yet

KTC

Anand S Bisen <(E-Mail Removed)> for some reason wrote:

> Hello
>
> Generally i write my programs in some sort of unix boxes, but
> now that i got a laptop and i have windows xp running on top of
> that i was shopping around for a decent c/c++ compiler. I can
> get visual studio .net 2002, 2003 or plain visual studio 6 free
> for download from my university but they look pretty much over
> kill for what i do. I generally code in plain ANSI C/C++ and i
> dont want to give huge disk space for just a compiler and it's
> libraries.
>
> I would really appreciate if somebody could point me to a c/c++
> or even fortran compiler IDE for windows that i can
> buy/download/etc.. for my personal use.
>
> Thanks
>
> Anand

Digital Mars C/C++
http://www.digitalmars.com/

Open Watcom C/C++ & Fortan
http://www.openwatcom.org/

Borland C/C++ 5.5 command line
http://www.borland.com/products/down..._cbuilder.html

Dev-C++ (Uses MinGW or Cygwin)
http://www.bloodshed.net/dev/devcpp.html

http://www.mingw.org/

http://www.cygwin.com/

- Heinrich Heine

Mac

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:24:11 +0000, Anand S Bisen wrote:

> Hello
>
> Generally i write my programs in some sort of unix boxes, but now that i
> got a laptop and i have windows xp running on top of that i was shopping
> around for a decent c/c++ compiler. I can get visual studio .net 2002,
> 2003 or plain visual studio 6 free for download from my university but
> they look pretty much over kill for what i do. I generally code in plain
> ANSI C/C++ and i dont want to give huge disk space for just a compiler
> and it's libraries.
>
> I would really appreciate if somebody could point me to a c/c++ or even
> fortran compiler IDE for windows that i can buy/download/etc.. for my
> personal use.
>
> Thanks
>
> Anand

This is really not topical on clc. I doubt it is topical for clc++,
either.

Look into cygwin or mingw.

Mac

DavidG

Try the Borland command line compiler. I also suggest maybe a good text
editor like Crimson Editor or whatever you like. I don't program too
much on Windows, but when I do, that's the combo I use.

Anand S Bisen wrote:
> Hello
>
> Generally i write my programs in some sort of unix boxes, but now that i
> got a laptop and i have windows xp running on top of that i was shopping
> around for a decent c/c++ compiler. I can get visual studio .net 2002,
> 2003 or plain visual studio 6 free for download from my university but
> they look pretty much over kill for what i do. I generally code in plain
> ANSI C/C++ and i dont want to give huge disk space for just a compiler
> and it's libraries.
>
> I would really appreciate if somebody could point me to a c/c++ or even
> fortran compiler IDE for windows that i can buy/download/etc.. for my
> personal use.
>
> Thanks
>
> Anand

Randy Howard

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > I would really appreciate if somebody could point me to a c/c++ or even
> > fortran compiler IDE for windows that i can buy/download/etc.. for my
> > personal use.

> Try the Metrowerks Codewarrior compiler.

Ugh. I think this is one of the most abysmal IDE / compiler environments
currently in production. The fact that you got it free doesn't make it
much better. Especially, when the Bloodshed Dev-C++/gcc package is
also free, and far better.

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

--
Randy Howard
2reply remove FOOBAR

Buck Rogers

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:24:11 -0500, Anand S Bisen <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> Hello
>
> Generally i write my programs in some sort of unix boxes, but now that i
> got a laptop and i have windows xp running on top of that i was shopping
> around for a decent c/c++ compiler. I can get visual studio .net 2002,
> 2003 or plain visual studio 6 free for download from my university but
> they look pretty much over kill for what i do. I generally code in plain
> ANSI C/C++ and i dont want to give huge disk space for just a compiler
> and it's libraries.
>
> I would really appreciate if somebody could point me to a c/c++ or even
> fortran compiler IDE for windows that i can buy/download/etc.. for my
> personal use.
>
> Thanks
>
> Anand

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

Buck.

Chris Mantoulidis

Anand S Bisen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bvf03l$hek$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Hello
>
> Generally i write my programs in some sort of unix boxes, but now that i
> got a laptop and i have windows xp running on top of that i was shopping
> around for a decent c/c++ compiler. I can get visual studio .net 2002,
> 2003 or plain visual studio 6 free for download from my university but
> they look pretty much over kill for what i do. I generally code in plain
> ANSI C/C++ and i dont want to give huge disk space for just a compiler
> and it's libraries.
>
> I would really appreciate if somebody could point me to a c/c++ or even
> fortran compiler IDE for windows that i can buy/download/etc.. for my
> personal use.
>
> Thanks
>
> Anand

DJGPP: http://www.delorie.com/djgpp