Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > is there any powerful program that can.....

Reply
Thread Tools

is there any powerful program that can.....

 
 
news.hku.hk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source file
(*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?

Thanks a lot~


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
news.hku.hk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
sorry for multi-post, i just wanna get prompt reply ~

"news.hku.hk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:400e2b0f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source file
> (*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?
>
> Thanks a lot~
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kevin Goodsell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
news.hku.hk wrote:
> I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source file
> (*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?
>
> Thanks a lot~
>
>


I'll tell you how to do this if you'll tell me how to turn this
hamburger back into a cow.

-Kevin
--
My email address is valid, but changes periodically.
To contact me please use the address from a recent posting.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jakob
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
It can't be done. Especially not if the code is optimized.

Sorry...

"news.hku.hk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:400e2b0f$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source file
> (*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?
>
> Thanks a lot~
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Theis
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004

"Kevin Goodsell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:CQqPb.19918$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> news.hku.hk wrote:
> > I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source file
> > (*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?
> >
> > Thanks a lot~
> >
> >

>
> I'll tell you how to do this if you'll tell me how to turn this
> hamburger back into a cow.
>
> -Kevin
> --


Isn't there MS Reverse-Engineer-Cow Version 1.0 that can load hamburgers ??


Chris


 
Reply With Quote
 
Thomas Matthews
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
Jakob wrote:

> It can't be done. Especially not if the code is optimized.
>
> Sorry...
>
> "news.hku.hk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:400e2b0f$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source file
>>(*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?
>>
>>Thanks a lot~
>>
>>

>
>
>


Jakob:
1. Don't top-post.
2. I do believe there are tools out there that will
generate a C source file from an executable.

Conversion from an executable image to a source file
_is_ possible. There are no guarantees that the source
file will be readable or (very unprobable) the original
source file. As you said, optimization provides a
a nice twist to the puzzle. Unique identifiers can
be generated, such as "int_006".

The OP should be aware that more than one source
file can generate the same executable. Also the
probability of successfully generating the original
source file is very, very, remote. Being hit by
an interstellar flaming comet is more probable.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
C++ Faq: http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite
C Faq: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/c-faq/top.html
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
http://www.raos.demon.uk/acllc-c++/faq.html
Other sites:
http://www.josuttis.com -- C++ STL Library book

 
Reply With Quote
 
Howard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004

"Chris Theis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bum38i$puu$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "Kevin Goodsell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:CQqPb.19918$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> > news.hku.hk wrote:
> > > I'd like to ask if there is any program that can give me the source

file
> > > (*.cpp) when i only have the executable file (*.exe) ?
> > >
> > > Thanks a lot~
> > >
> > >

> >
> > I'll tell you how to do this if you'll tell me how to turn this
> > hamburger back into a cow.
> >
> > -Kevin
> > --

>
> Isn't there MS Reverse-Engineer-Cow Version 1.0 that can load hamburgers

??
>
>
> Chris
>


Yes, but it was recalled by the FDA due to a "minor flaw" in it that spread
a virus known as BSE (Mad Cow Disease). It caused millions of tons of
hamburger to turn into mad cows!

-Howard


>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Howard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004

> The OP should be aware that more than one source
> file can generate the same executable. Also the
> probability of successfully generating the original
> source file is very, very, remote. Being hit by
> an interstellar flaming comet is more probable.
>


Boy, that IS a remote chance! Especially considering that comets are mostly
ice, not balls of flame!

-Howard


 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004
Howard wrote:

>
> Yes, but it was recalled by the FDA due to a "minor flaw" in it that spread
> a virus known as BSE (Mad Cow Disease). It caused millions of tons of
> hamburger to turn into mad cows!


I wonder how long it will be before the word "prion" is used to describe
some kind of harmful software.

--
Mike Smith

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Natalie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-21-2004

"Mike Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Howard wrote:
>
> >
> > Yes, but it was recalled by the FDA due to a "minor flaw" in it that spread
> > a virus known as BSE (Mad Cow Disease). It caused millions of tons of
> > hamburger to turn into mad cows!

>
> I wonder how long it will be before the word "prion" is used to describe
> some kind of harmful software.
>

I think it applies well to the .NET runtime environment.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
problem in running a basic code in python 3.3.0 that includes HTML file Satabdi Mukherjee Python 1 04-04-2013 07:48 PM
501 PIX "deny any any" "allow any any" Any Anybody? Networking Student Cisco 4 11-16-2006 10:40 PM
[python] Is there a python written fax program out there? David Stockwell Python 2 06-08-2004 08:28 PM
Q. Is there a powerful calculator , capable of calculating many digits for Windows 2K ? Jim Jones Computer Support 7 04-14-2004 07:50 PM
is there any powerful program that can..... news.hku.hk C Programming 7 01-23-2004 03:33 AM



Advertisments