Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > Concurrency

Concurrency

David Rasmussen

Are there any indicators for

1) whether the C++ commitee will include
concurrency in the next standard
2) what it will look like (Java, ZThreads, etc.)

/David

Alf P. Steinbach

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 01:30:59 +0100, David Rasmussen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Are there any indicators for
>
>1) whether the C++ commitee will include
>concurrency in the next standard
>2) what it will look like (Java, ZThreads, etc.)

Probably Boost Threads, if anything. Check out
<url: http://www.boost.org/libs/thread/doc/index.html>.
Alternatively pthreads.

But I hope such support isn't added this time.

Not having thread handling standardized reflects the situation that
the standard library isn't designed for multithreading, that 'volatile'
is next to unusable, and so on. In particular, there is the thorny
issue of exceptions in threads. And the somewhat larger picture of
exception importance levels, the next to unusable exception hierarchy,
and handling of multiple exceptions and exceptions in destructors,
which if addressed needs to be compatible and integrated with threads.

David Harmon

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 01:30:59 +0100 in comp.lang.c++, David Rasmussen
<(E-Mail Removed)> was alleged to have written:
>Are there any indicators for
>
>1) whether the C++ commitee will include
>concurrency in the next standard
>2) what it will look like (Java, ZThreads, etc.)

The newsgroup for the discussion of the C++ standardization process and
what the C++ committee will do is comp.std.c++ (please read first before
posting.)
http://groups.google.com/groups?scor...mp.std.c%2B%2B

David Rasmussen

Alf P. Steinbach wrote:

> Probably Boost Threads, if anything. Check out
> <url: http://www.boost.org/libs/thread/doc/index.html>.
> Alternatively pthreads.

Pthreads? Surely, if anything, it will be an OOP
approach.

> Not having thread handling standardized reflects the situation that
> the standard library isn't designed for multithreading, that 'volatile'
> is next to unusable, and so on.

Still, many incarnations of the standard library
exist that cope well with concurrency? It's not
impossible.

> In particular, there is the thorny
> issue of exceptions in threads.

It works reasonably well in Java, doesn't it?

> And the somewhat larger picture of
> exception importance levels, the next to unusable exception hierarchy,
> and handling of multiple exceptions and exceptions in destructors,
> which if addressed needs to be compatible and integrated with threads.

I'm not sure these problems are greater than the
problem of not having a standardized concurrency
model in the language.

But I see now that my discussion is off topic, so:
sorry

/David

Alexander Terekhov

David Rasmussen wrote:

> Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
> >
> > Probably Boost Threads, if anything. Check out
> > <url: http://www.boost.org/libs/thread/doc/index.html>.
> > Alternatively pthreads.
> >

> Pthreads? Surely, if anything, it will be an OOP
> approach.

It will be both Boost.Thread-like stuff in <thread> and 100%
pthreads compatible stuff in <cthread>. I bet a bottle of
"Tisserand", Alf.

> > Not having thread handling standardized reflects the situation that
> > the standard library isn't designed for multithreading, that 'volatile'
> > is next to unusable, and so on.

> Still, many incarnations of the standard library
> exist that cope well with concurrency? It's not
> impossible.
>
> > In particular, there is the thorny
> > issue of exceptions in threads.

> It works reasonably well in Java, doesn't it?

Java's EH is totally brain-damaged.

regards,
alexander.

David Rasmussen

Alexander Terekhov wrote:

> Java's EH is totally brain-damaged.

Why?

/David

Alexander Terekhov

David Rasmussen wrote:

> Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> >
> > Java's EH is totally brain-damaged.
> >

> Why?

Because you can't have throw() code in Java, to begin with.

regards,
alexander.

David Rasmussen

Alexander Terekhov wrote:

> Because you can't have throw() code in Java, to begin with.

I'm not sure I follow. A small example comparing
C++ and Java, showing your point?

/David

Alexander Terekhov

http://google.com/groups?selm=3D09E7...7350A%40web.de

> A small example ...

http://google.com/groups?selm=3D0A3F...1F08F%40web.de

regards,
alexander.

David Rasmussen

Alexander Terekhov wrote:

> http://google.com/groups?selm=3D09E7...7350A%40web.de
>

>>A small example ...

> http://google.com/groups?selm=3D0A3F...1F08F%40web.de

None of these links meant anything to me. Maybe I
lacked the context. But I'll take your word for
it. All I know is that what little concurrent
programming I did in Java with exceptions
involved, worked flawlessly.

/David